Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

OH good you found a plug for it! Where did you end up getting it?

I just had to add some CYA to my pool as well. I still laugh when I have to add it now. See with my last pool my CYA was WAY high because I used and trusted the pool store :(

Kim:kim:

Well... quick update.. It's gorgeously clear still. I'm still maintaining my chlorine high - SWG is maintaining it at 11-12ppm, as I have it around 85% and run the pump round the clock for now...

I have added about 15 pounds of calcium the other day, which took it to around 150ppm. Today I added the remaining 10 pounds that I had to get it up more, but that won't get me to the 350-400 I need.. ordering more soon.

I've also been adding CYA slowly. It's around 45ppm at this point.. I'm adding a little more and will retest. Going to get that to 70ppm soon.

My pH has actually increased to 7.4 with these changes, which is good news...

OK - new situation that I'd like some feedback on... I have had my filter off, running the pump in "recirculate", as I read in some research that while adding CYA, it is best to recirculate, instead of filter, in order to avoid the need to backwash for a few days so that the entire CYA dissolves. I have done that for 4 days now. The good news is my CYA is now 70. The odd thing is that, on the floor of the pool, underneath the returns after day 4 (today), There was a large amount of dirt laying on the floor of the pool... I attempted to vacuum the pool, but that process apparently eludes me - It does not seem to want to suck appropriately... So I brushed it all to the deep end and waited 30 minutes, then brushed as much to the drain as I could. I have it on filter, so hopefully that will keep it from happening again.

That said, I did a full set of tests today with the following results:

FC: 13.5
CC: did not test (forgot to test)
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CH:180
CYA: 70
Salt: 2800-3400 (This one is hard to judge. My SWG says 2800. The color change from yellow begins at 2800, but seems darker at 3000 and more so at 3200 and 3400. At 3600, it seems more brown - which if I understand correct is the point that we are no longer getting valid results)

So, if I am not mistaken, aside from the dirt in the pool that I am in process of removing, my levels are close on all but the Calcium (have to buy more) and the TA. The rest are good.

Any idea about the dirt?

Dead algae? IF you can get some up with a turkey baster or such you can put a paper towel in a strainer and let it dry and we can look at it that way.

When you add CYA following the directions on the bottle (pour it into the skimmer) you do not want to back wash as you will backwash it all out. When you it TFP way (in sock hanging in front of the return) you can and should have it on filter. We are working on all of our topics. I will look at the adding CYA one and see if it needs to be tweak to make it clearer.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

New oddity this morning! I turned my SWG off last night after then sun went down and did my tests. FC was 13.5 at that time. This morning, I got out of bed at dawn and checked FC... twice... because the first time was 16 and the swcond was 15...

I'm assuming it's an error on my part, as there's no other explanation for how FC would increase overnight...

No. The pump is the same one that operates the filter and needed to get the dirt filtered... I'm going to leave it as a possible error last night... I think I'm going to let my FC drop to 3-4, to get it in line with where it should be...

I'll be setting my filter and SWG to a schedule instead of 24/7 operation also

Ok... spent some time in the pool, even though we are only close to correct on levels.

What a glorious experience!

That said, the water clouded up again. Is that normal, or an indicator of a problem? A friend who is a "pool store buyer" said it is totally normal and I should "just shock it again"...

I didn't want to tell her that I don't "do" shock... so I didn't.. thoughts?

Also, I was reading other posts that indicated the filter may need cleaning, as I have more pressure when on recirculation setting than when on filter setting. Is this difficult?? It's a Hayward Sand Filter...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I had just bought a house with a pool & sand filter I would want to know what sand is in the filter & if the laterals are in good shape. The only way for you to know this is to replace the sand & inspect the laterals during the process. I'd also use HTH pool sand, your local Ace hardware should have it.

We need to know what's going on when you're vacuuming. Your water seems to be clear enough that you should be able to see it sucking up debris. Is the vacuum head pulling in water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.