Hoping for slam help.

Nathanazajac

May 29, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi guys, still new to to TFP and pools in general. I am starting a slam tonight. I am holding no fc and my cya is most like 5 to 10. I am using a blue devil test kit. I have about 15 lbs of members mark quick dissolving shock I purchased before TFP. Using pool math it looks like I will raise my cya 1.3 per lb. What would be a safe amount to start with in conjunction with bleach for my slam.how many days does it take tofree show up completely?Thanks.

Can you accurately test both FC and CC with that kit to within 0.5ppm? If not, I caution you to be trying to follow the SLAM process without a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Did you have CYA last season and it disappeared? That could point to an issue that adding CYA now will make worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general it's recommended to avoid adding any CYA until the SLAM is complete because as your CYA goes up so does the required FC.

I second the FAS-DPD recommendation, it's super nice to know exactly how much chlorine is in the pool.

How many gallons is your pool? I'd start by using some bleach to attempt to get your FC to slam levels, adding what is required per pool math and testing after 30 minutes. The experts here will commonly reccomend adding a maintenance amount of bleach until the test kit arrives, but I'll wait for one of them to show up to give you an exact amount of beach to add per day.

The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is a great value. It's usually advised to get the XL option if you're going to do a slam as it includes extra reagents you will use a lot of in the SLAM process. It also helps to support this non-profit forum.

If money is tight, you can order the fas-dpd kit by itself on Amazon for $20-25 bucks. It's a really good investment. There's no ambiguity like with the OTO or DPD tests. You'll know exactly how much is in there.

Edit: also giving your pool info (size, type, filtering equipment etc) will help when the experts show up to get you a quick recommendation. What is the current condition of your water? Cloudy? Green?

Last edited:
Reactions: jblizzle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.