jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am pricing out 14"x2" bluestone coping for my pool - i plan on doing the work myself (wife is not happy about that) - I am looking at about $2500 for the stone. My question is do you think it is worth an extra $1200 to have a honed edge put on the coping? My wife is already convinced I am going to screw this up (despite never messing up a project in 10 years - i think the pandemic has made her grumpy) - so if i tried to hone the edge myself with a grinder and it was not 100% perfect I will be hearing about it for the next 30 years, so it is either no honed edge or paying $1200 to put a small radius on the edge. Anyone have any thoughts?

BTW - i plan on putting down 2" base of tamped crushed stone then a 4" thick concrete collar (5000 psi concrete) up to the steel edge (I am undecided if i need lath connected to the steel to help with adhesion), then i will lay the the coping on a modified medium bed mortar with a slight back slope - and cantilevering out 1.5"

Reactions: Casey
This is out of my league but I'll say this... research the :poop: out of the job at hand and once you start... take your time. Ask tons of questions and take lots of pics. We have a lot of knowledgeable people here so... wait for them to come along.

Last edited:
We have bluestone coping. It’s natural cleft and varying thickness with a square smooth edge. After installation, by others, I took a grinder and hit the top edge all around the pool. Essentially giving it about a 1/8-3/16” bevel. It greatly improved the look and feel. I‘m not exactly sure what profile you mean by honing. Looking it up I see it as a rounded smooth edge. Can’t imagine that being successful as DIY. My approach was super easy, attractive, though only a very modest removal of material.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah my stone source offers honed or eased. I think eased is what I’m going with it’s basically what you did but done by the supplier and uniform. Since I’m saving on the install, the $7 a foot extra for the fabrication isn’t so bad.

Sounds like a good option. Mine wasn’t that well thought out ahead of time, thought I was quite happy with my easing.

I’m sure it looks great. And I’m sure I could do it too. But I get the feeling the wife is gonna be looking at my work to a standard no human being can achieve so I’m gonna make an investment in avoiding a headache

put the order in for 132 linear feet of bluestone 14"x2"x4' - had them add an eased edge - total was $3610 delivered and tax - hope to get the project started soon.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.