Home with 16k Generator getting Hot Tub - load shedding question

mikegmi2

Jun 7, 2019
Michigan
I have a whole house 16k Generac (70A breaker) with automatic switch, and I am considering getting a J385 hot tub which requires a 60A line. The question I have is, do I need to add a load shedding box for the hot tub to prevent damage to my generator? Or is it a non issue? I read that the heating element on the J385 can pull a lot of power, so this is my main concern.

I live in Michigan, so it is a possibility I lose power for an extended time and would need the generator to keep the hot tub from freezing.

You probably should load shed the hot tub but it is best to ask the company who installed your generator.

Thats going to be too much on your generator... Obviously deoends whats running at the moment the Generac kicks on - Is your AC running, (electric) hot water heater, clothes dryer, oven? That generator could easily run just the hot tub, but as soon as another major energy using appliance kicks on, its going to overload. I'm surprised it has a 70 amp breaker! Seems high.

Thanks for the replies. Why would a load shed box be required, when both the Generator, and Hot Tub have their own breakers? The breaker would trip before any damage is done to the generator. It seems redundant, unnecessary, but I am no electrician.

Thanks for the replies. Why would a load shed box be required, when both the Generator, and Hot Tub have their own breakers? The breaker would trip before any damage is done to the generator. It seems redundant, unnecessary, but I am no electrician.

CBs are not foolproof. You do not want to intentionally overload a generator as bad things can happen before the breaker trips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.