Hole in the side of skimmer mouth?

Water Cat

Aug 30, 2020
ON
Surface
Vinyl
I've had my pool for a few years now and one thing my family cant figure out is what this little hole on the side of the skimmer mouth is for.

I personaly think it might be so you can let water out in heavy rainfall but water just runs down the steel side and under the liner. Would this not cause the wall to rust and the ground to sink under the skimmer area?

It is about the size of a garden hose but there appears to be no way to hook a hose up to it. Their is a plug with it too which is usualy kept in i took it out to show the hole better in the image.

Attachments

• 20230626_184104.jpg
    20230626_184104.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230626_184038.jpg
    20230626_184038.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 30
It's an overflow port. You add an adapter piece (that Google doesn't watch to find for me at the moment) and then PVC an exit path. A plumbing supply store would have several ways to skin this cat.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I wonder if I could somehow attach a 3/4inch male adapter to female hose end to it and screw on a hose when it gets too full. Unscrew when it is back down.

Last edited:
I wonder if I could somehow attach a 3/4inch male adapter to female hose end to it and screw on a hose when it gets too full. Unscrew when it is back down.
Lucky you ! The scary part is already done for you (drilling a hole in your skimmer box).
I intend to do this exact thing to mine & leave the line there.
You can use the male end of the hose and a brass lock nut.

I've had my pool for a few years now and one thing my family cant figure out is what this little hole on the side of the skimmer mouth is for.

I personaly think it might be so you can let water out in heavy rainfall but water just runs down the steel side and under the liner. Would this not cause the wall to rust and the ground to sink under the skimmer area?

It is about the size of a garden hose but there appears to be no way to hook a hose up to it. Their is a plug with it too which is usualy kept in i took it out to show the hole better in the image.
I have the same hole. In the skimmer panflet, it says it can be used to hardwire a light.

Btw... Just zoomed in on your picture. I have the exact same "Olympic" widemouth skimmer. Did you get your skimmer and or pool from the pool factory?

I have the same hole. In the skimmer panflet, it says it can be used to hardwire a light.
This makes total sense- I had one (light, not the hole for the light 😁) the cable was a pain, I obviously never drilled the hole & the light eventually died
IMG_6688.png The

Btw... Just zoomed in on your picture. I have the exact same "Olympic" widemouth skimmer. Did you get your skimmer and or pool from the pool factory?
It was part of the new pool package from a local privately owned company. The only problem I ever had with it was when the little peg broke on the door and it would no longer stay in the skimmer. The foam also doesnt last long.

That looks intresting. We actualy have been looking for a way to light up the pool in the eavning. We used to have a floating light but it stopped charging.
All above ground pool lights are so expensive- that one lasted for 2 seasons & I decided not to replace it.
Currently considering one of those ones that have magnets- but I worry my bot may try to eat it. 🤣

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.