Hole in Concrete

May 23, 2010
Marion, Iowa
I thought there was a hole. The concrete pool has a plaster on top which is almost 100% eroded. We epoxy paint every 3 or 4 years. The paint is now terribly flaked. Noticed a small chip in the paint and it oozed water. Our pool store said to grind it down to make the hole a bit larger and feather the edges then load it with silicone. The original hole was slightly larger than a quarter. I did grind it down below the paint and now it's the size of the palm of my hand. It is still oozing water. I noted around the perimeter where there is still paint, I tap and it sound solid except in one area where I tap and it sounds hollow. I believe the plaster (or the very thick paint) is lifted from the concrete and perhaps there is water beneath OR perhaps if I grind further out where it is hollow, I might find there is a crack or a hole. Either way, I'm unsure of what to do. My friend is a concrete expert (not with pools) and believes silicon is not the answer.

In addition, there are several cracks around the concrete decking and very close to the edge of the pool. Do those need silicone before filling? I'll attach photos when I can remember how.20200601_203455.jpg20200601_205045.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.