Hobbies ?

Photography, bicycling, and coffee roasting, though the coffee roasting is more an avocation--impossible to fine good coffee otherwise.

Agreed on the coffee! My Amazon WishList has Gene Cafe CBR-101 Home Coffee Roaster on it. Someday the wife will appreciate the absolute necessity it is to have $600 coffee roaster as part of ones standard kitchen gear...I mean seriously, pots, pans, French press, $600 coffee roaster...who doesn't get that?!?!?

Although I will give serious props to a local coffee shop here in Tucson, Coffee Xchange, as they know how to roast and brew an excellent cup o joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of Ex-hobbies. To name a few...

Guitar - I have decided that after having one for more than 40 years, that I am not musically talented. But I still pick it up a strum on it now and then.

Golf Club Maker and Repair - Many years ago, I took up golf club making in the search for the perfect golf club that would hit a ball straight every time. I decided to do this, because I lost too many golf balls in the woods, and it made me mad, and I have been known to toss a couple of golf clubs in the woods after them. Or better yet, the lake. It would be easier to find the holy grail than build a club that will hit the ball straight. But its an interesting thing to learn. There is way more engineering in a good driver than what the naked eye can see. So I had a little side gig for a while repairing and fitting golf clubs for local players and I made a few custom sets for some of them too.

Golf- I stil play golf a lot, and I still loose a lot of golf balls. No clubs though. They cost too much to replace.

Saltwater Aquarium - I had a 300 gallon SW Aquarium populated all sorts of coral and sea life. If you think getting rid of green algae in a pool is hard, try doing it in an aquarium. Its much easier to kill algae with chlorine in a pool than it is to starve it to death in an aquarium full of live animals. It's a great hobby though and they are beautiful to look at. They are a lot of work to keep them beautiful though. I bought a different house a few years ago, and there was no way I was going to try and move that thing and set it back up. I was afraid the fish, plants and coral wouldn't survive. So I sold it all piece by piece to other hobbyists.

Sport Skydiving - Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Answer - Because the door is open.
Over the 20 or so years at it, I've made 4,183 jumps. Lotsa fun. I quit jumping regularly about 5 years ago because it got boring. By jumping regularly, I mean jumping every Saturday and/ or Sunday all day long. I still make 3 or 4 jumps a month though, just to clear my head out.

Currently, my pool occupies a lot of my spare time, along with TFP of course! So I guess this is my main hobby until the next time my mind decides I should start doing something else.

And here I thought Divin Dave referred to your superior cannonball skills....

Agreed on the coffee! My Amazon WishList has Gene Cafe CBR-101 Home Coffee Roaster on it. Someday the wife will appreciate the absolute necessity it is to have $600 coffee roaster as part of ones standard kitchen gear...I mean seriously, pots, pans, French press, $600 coffee roaster...who doesn't get that?!?!?

Although I will give serious props to a local coffee shop here in Tucson, Coffee Xchange, as they know how to roast and brew an excellent cup o joe!

I use the Gene Café after using an I-Roast 2 until it burned itself out. Back in Missouri I roasted in the basement with a flexible dryer vent out the window--lots of smoke from roasting. Here in FL I roast in the garage. Considering that the green coffee is about $6.50 a pound, give or take a few cents, and a pound of green roasts into about 3/4 pounds, over several years the roaster will pay for itself (assuming you'd otherwise buy good roasted coffee). Check out sweetmarias.com for roasters and a wide selection of green beans.

My job has turned into more of a stressful situation than need be so hobbies for de-stressing are VERY important for me. The pool and creating an oasis to go with it is very high on my list. We travel a lot, participate in many charity events locally, ride motorcycles with a great group of friends & critique restaurants. I love anything to do with technology, horseback riding & horse shows, cooking, cake decorating, amusement parks & pretty much anything that goes fast. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fishing
c78b66ec99c4c53f237f8ef864dd02a5.jpg

Hunting
6163134d07b9f6c1b6e6b7ca5527c9ac.jpg

Baseball
8f4644e88f75c7342c918d4bb6119727.jpg

My hobby is Archery Hunting. Once the season opens, I'm in the woods from 5am til dark. I shot this buck on Friday at 6:30pm. He was chasing a doe.

My granddaughter loves watching Outdoor Channel. She'll be going out with me next year. I took her with me to the taxidermist to drop off the big guy. She cried when we left.

I will be small game hunting, bear hunting and starting to preditor hunt this year too.

I'm in the same boat as Dave (duraleigh). I'm mediocre at a multitude of things, usually related to what needs to be done to fix our house, cars, electronic devices... you name it.

The only consistent hobby I have is deer hunting every fall. Rifle hunting in the northern part of MN but I'd like to get into archery hunting and do it more locally. My daughter is into competitive target archery and I'd love to shoot with her more often. My oldest daughter is going with for her first rifle hunt this year after passing her firearm safety course this fall.

I used to be a fairly heavy video game player, but I don't have time for that these days.

As my kids get older, I'm being pulled in the direction of coaching their sports which is a great time and a good way to stay involved and not be one of the crazy sports parents.

I have too many hobbies...

Riding my Sportster (yeah, yeah...) is one I don't get to enjoy much any more. Shooting, hunting (not as often as I'd like...), and working on my car and my friends' cars have taken the front seat.

Gratuitous pic:

17363436-AE04-4658-8F02-932B17CE15E6_zpsftymnc01.jpg

I've been helping a friend work on his '84 Monte Carlo SS (rare original blue/blue car), and another friend recently acquired a '72 Chevy pickup (short bed, rare 402 big block factory A/C truck). Seems like half of just about every weekend is spent wrenching on something. Lol!

Reading is a hobby with several different genres and authors that I enjoy. I also enjoy cycling a great deal as I can zen out quite a bit, but haven't gotten to do it as often as I would like recently. There are some great shows on this season and I've been watching a few more than normal. Gym time to offset being sedentary. And to be honest, I really really love my job and can easily, and often, do that 14+ hours a day 5-6 days a week.

I don't have a lot of time for my hobbies, but I crochet blankets for hospice patients with a group of friends, I read fiction when I can, write when I can, watch old soap opera reruns on youtube (so much better than the current stuff!) and take care of my pool. I had started walking with my son but have had to taper back since I had a rather spectacular fall and messed up my knee a month ago. Finally got an MRI last week and are waiting for my results, there may be surgery in my future.

Kids activities, woodworking, cave or wreck diving.

2 of the 4 Adirondacks I have made for next season.
Hope to have the loveseat version and foot stools done by spring too.
20151027_143117.jpg

Table and banquet seat.
20151027_143154.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.