High TVC on microbial test

benseb

Mar 23, 2021
UK
So alongside our holiday let hot tub we got our own recently.

We can obviously run this for longer, not having to empty it every 3 days or so.

So far so good I thought. Water has been in about 4 weeks so far, and have maintained Chlorine and pH correctly. (I aim for about 3ppm. It’s dropped to 1.2 but never to zero. pH 7.2-7.8. CYA is up to about 40 now so using bleach)

However… I was sending off a microbiological sample for our Hol Let tub (legal requirement) so thought I’d sample our tub too

Results are mostly fine but I’m concerned about the TVC:

TVC @ 37c = 1920 Cfu/ml
Chloriforms = 0
Ecoli = 0
Pseudomonas = 0
S Aureus = 0

Our regs say TVC (Total viable organism count) should be less than 100 ideally

what could be causing this in a relatively new hot tub with a filter and correct Chlorine and pH?

I did wonder if some of the “new filter” dirt got in but surely that would be filtered out. We’ve had a couple of sessions with 4 adults in the tub but always thrown either a DiChlor or bleach in after.

I’ll probably empty the hot tub, clean and refill but ideally wanted to keep it running longer.

I would clean the tub with Ahhsome. New tubs can develop biofilms from the water they use to test the tub at the factory.

A seatch will find lots of positive posts about Ahhsome.

@Ahhsomeguy

Reactions: RDspaguy
Did you clean that brand new hot tub with Ahh-some and empty it the first time... They test every single tub and then drain them you can not imagine how much stuff will grow in there and stay in there even with chlorine... :)

Reactions: RDspaguy
There’s a product called oh Yuk. I use it on my jacuzzi to clean the biofilm in the pipes. I wish I still had the pictures of the first time I used it when we bought my house and inherited it. Black sludge. It was so nasty.

There’s a product called oh Yuk. I use it on my jacuzzi to clean the biofilm in the pipes. I wish I still had the pictures of the first time I used it when we bought my house and inherited it. Black sludge. It was so nasty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AJW22: Ahh-Some is available all over the Uk and a few other countries throughout Europe.
we have a large distributor in Baglan, Port Talbot called Total Water Products. They receive orders from us every 2 -3 weeks or so. Good people to deal with. Their label is different from what we use in the USA and Canada but it is exactly the same product. Contact them or look for the label at your dealer, go online or just call TWP. They will assist you.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.