High TA in new pool

jasong

Mar 10, 2017
House Springs
Hi all,

Just finished our build this past week and I am trying to get the water under control. We used the hose to fill and I knew we would be working on the water because it is drawn from local rivers and wells. Here are the results from the last two days

Yesterday:
FC 6.6
CC 0
PH 8
TA 200
CH 200
CYA 45
Salt 2950

Today
FC 4.8
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 225
CH 170
CYA 80
Salt 2950

Water temperature is 56. Yesterday I added 6 cups of muriatic and two pounds of CYA / stabilizer. Should I try and push the TA down with more acid? Pool math calculator is looking at another 5 cups of acid. Am I going in the right direction?

Jason,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your new pool questions... :snorkle:

I would not worry about your TA for right now.. Just keep an eye on your pH.

Most SWCG pool like a pH of about 7.8, so when the pH drifts above 7.8 add enough MA to bring it down to 7.5 or so.

After a few weeks, you can work on bringing the TA down, but for right now I would leave it alone.

You CSI is well within limits, so nothing to worry about.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

You're in no danger of scaling right now, so don't obsess on lowering TA yet.

You probably have to add acid every day to keep pH below 7.8 right now, so it will drop TA some every day.

A tip: plug numbers into poolmath and see how much acid it wants you to add. Then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what adding that amount of acid will do to the tA. The pH reading will likely be way off. It's at best an estimate until the doses get really small. So ignore that part. The TA calculation is usually right on. You'll be able to see how much and how fast TA will drop that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.