Laziebun

Aug 22, 2021
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Appears that my TA is high, but my PH is somewhat in range. Pool maths is suggesting I add 2gal if Mauriatic acid. Sounds like a ton!

PH 7.2
TA 230

Will TA drop on its own?

Lazer
With a PH of 7.2 I doubt you have the TA right. Do the test again making sure the regent dropper is completely vertical and if it new can have a static charge. It's recommended to wipe the tip (third regent in the TA test) with a moist paper towel or the Luke and carefully help the droplets fall off. Most likely your droplets were small and causing a higher count.

"bun", we had to move that post back to this thread to prevent a hijack situation, but it's okay. This way we can focus on you. It is somewhat common for members in your area to have an exceptionally high TA. I've seen some well over 400. Not to worry. As long as your pH is stable, nothing bad will come of it. Over the course of the season the TA will slowly fall with each acid application you use to control the pH. You don't really have to go out of your way right now to lower the TA, but when the pH does get high, say about 8.0, then use enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.2. Each time you do that it will lower the TA a little at a time.

Reactions: SoDel
adding to the above, when your TA test is new, The R-0009 will have a static charge that makes it "jump" off the tip before the drop is full formed. This results in a TA result that is falsely high.

That condition goes away in a week or so but, meanwhile, use a damp cloth to wipe the dropper in between drops. This will let the drop form fully on the end of the tip and gravity will pull it off (as it should). Try the damp cloth.

Lazer
With a PH of 7.2 I doubt you have the TA right. Do the test again making sure the regent dropper is completely vertical and if it new can have a static charge. It's recommended to wipe the tip (third regent in the TA test) with a moist paper towel or the Luke and carefully help the droplets fall off. Most likely your droplets were small and causing a higher count.
Just ran the test again.

Attachments

• 0575B859-2874-4DB0-AE61-F207C4A4C6E7.png
    0575B859-2874-4DB0-AE61-F207C4A4C6E7.png
    418 KB · Views: 5
Your first post was pH 7.2 and the latest was 8.0 Did you add something?

So, If your pH is 8.0 than the TA of 220 is more in line with what we expect.

With a pH of 8.0, I would add enough acid to get down to pH 7.4 - 7.6. Your TA will come down some.

Then you can leave it alone or lower it further based on the article in Pool School. I think I would leave it alone after lowering the pH.

Reactions: SoDel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.