High TA, everything else O.K. do I need to do anything?

in-two

Silver Supporter
Nov 13, 2011
Sabina, Italy
I have persistently high TA readings, 300 to 400. Ph is stable, 7.3 to 7.7 as are FC (3-6) CH 130 and CYA at 40. Water is crystal clear and tastes and smells fine. My testing may be at fault, I use a Color Q 7 tablet version (I know, I know, but I can't get Taylor here in Italy and no one will ship from the U.S.A.).
On standard testing (one tab to 50ml water) TA just reads 'Hi' (over 300ppm) so I double up the sample to 100ml and double the result, is that the way?
In any event the TA is high and I know I should lower Ph and aerate but this is technically difficult with my returns located in the bottom of the pool and I've given up producing children for splashing purposes, although have a newly baked grandson who should be ready for duty within a few months...
Before embarking on producing some kind of separately pumped Heath Robinson fountain I wonder if I'm trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem as the water is good on all other objective and subjective criteria. The grandson thing is relevant because he will be dumped in the pool shortly and I don't want any adverse skin reactions, although the water does nothing but cool and refresh my wrinkled old hide.
Any ideas gratefully received.

The is surprising that your pH isn't rising with TA that high. Adding acid to lower PH to 7.2 when it gets to 7.8 will slowly lower your TA. High TA won't bother skin.

The is surprising that your pH isn't rising with TA that high. Adding acid to lower PH to 7.2 when it gets to 7.8 will slowly lower your TA. High TA won't bother skin.

Thanks for speedy reply, pooldv, Ph does slowly rise, about a point every two days which I moderate with muriatic acid. I'll throw a bit more in to get down to low sevens and see how that goes. I'm a bit unsure about the relationship between TA and Ph, I would have thought they would be 'lock step' with each other although this is clearly not the case. I've read all there is in Pool School on the subject. I'm guessing that my fill water, which comes from a local creek has high TA and recent frequent topping up (evap. leaking 40year old plumbing) is the cause. I'll have ago at testing the fill water and post the results.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can on the testing, and have certainly done your research.

Handy aeration can be provided by a cheapy dirty water sump pump used to spray water up in the air. I set mine on my top step and it blows water a long way. We stay out of the pool if we have it running because of the 250V supply to the pump. If you want to maximize TA reduction, take the water down to pH 7.0 when you adjust with acid.

If you're able to balance the water and avoid scaling then it seems like something to manage for, but not necessarily change. Do you have an autofill? I'm quite interested to hear what you fill water is.

It does seem odd that you're not fighting pH rise, so you have to wonder about the testing, but on the other hand, I have three test kits and they're all pretty close on TA. The only other possibility I can think of is a possible mis-match between sample size and drop count, although you sound like a careful person. Only other thing I can think of is to check poolvacsupply.com for international shipping of the K2006.

There are a few people here who manage their pools at high TA, so you could search for those and see how they get along.

thanks for the response, needsajet, just climbed out of the pool and got around to testing the fill water:
FC 0.09
TC 0.10
Ph 7.9
TA 440
CH 89
So no real surprises there, I only tested for FCL/TCL in case something weird was going on upstream of the natural surface creek I take the water from. This is a farming area and the creek is at the bottom of a steep, wooded valley so might be vulnerable to run-off of various kinds although there is very little livestock, mainly olive and fruit trees with some viniculture, (5 euro for a gallon (5l) jug of the best Sangiovese you ever tasted, poured straight from the barrel...) The creek originates high in the hills with a spring that is actually the local village fresh water supply,and has been for several hundred years. I'm guessing it has a lot of mineral content, I should start bottling it!
Anyway, I see a jury-rigged fountain and many jugs of muriatic acid in my future...
Thanks again.

And many jugs of Sangiovese as well!

There's lime in them thar hills. I hope the TA is reasonably manageable for you, and good luck with it. Your pH will drift high so be strict about your FC target to avoid algae.

Your area sounds wonderful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.