High TA and low ph for a week....

fame_ame

Jun 22, 2019
Montana
We just bought a house and the pool has been struggling ever since. The chemicals we have purchased have been obscene. We have added like 10 gallons of acid, 4 boxes of borax (plus some ph increaser and a air compressor for 12 hours running to the deep portion of the pool) in the last couple days, and finally can see faint purple on a test strip but our alkalinity is the highest our paper strips will show and ph is lowest on the strip.

High TA and low PH with zero Chlorine has been our constant read. It’s a vinyl lined, heated pool, 28,000 gallons. Any suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to the forum!
Adding acid and borax is counter productive.
You need a proper test kit. Strips are worthless.
Order a TF-100

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

What you're doing makes no sense. You're adding chemicals without knowing what the actual readings are.

The alkalinity can't be super high while the pH is super low.

With adding 10 gallons of acid, your TA is probably below zero.

You need a good test kit and to start over.

Welcome to the forum!
Adding acid and borax is counter productive.
You need a proper test kit. Strips are worthless.
Order a TF-100

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
I have a solid test on the way. We just live in a place where it takes a bit to get it delivered.

What you're doing makes no sense. You're adding chemicals without knowing what the actual readings are.

The alkalinity can't be super high while the pH is super low.

With adding 10 gallons of acid, your TA is probably below zero.

You need a good test kit and to start over.
We have a test kit coming Wednesday.

This was the test we took last night. The TA came down after the last 2 gallons of acid enough so our slide was actually working. This was the best test results over the past week and although it was taken late and is dark, you should be able to see that TA is in fact high and ph is in fact low.

Attachments

• 96417F6B-E4DF-4521-8921-44D4E898CC99.jpeg
    96417F6B-E4DF-4521-8921-44D4E898CC99.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 3
Worrying about high TA is almost meaningless. It is much more important to maintain the pH in the proper range. But I am guessing a pool store put you on the pH roller coaster given all of the chemicals you have been adding

Fame,

Welcome aboard! TFP is an organization of experts and pool enthusiasts that have a simple desire to help pool owners take care of their pool without needing to have advanced degrees in chemistry, engineering, and rocket science. Our methods are based on sound science developed by true experts. You have a couple of them that have already weighed in to help you. Here's the best part: we don't sell anything. So the advice you get here is never conflicted with a desire to sell you potions or chemicals. Our methods use generic chemicals readily available. But as you've read in the posts above it starts with good factual information about your current pool chemistry. The only way to do this is to get one of the recommended test kits. Test strips are so easy and cheap it's tempting to try to use them. So I did but only to compare to my TF 100 kit. They were waaaaay off. Waste of time and money. I hope you'll spring for the test kit and give TFP a try. You can truly have a gorgeous pool in days and keep it that way forever with TFP at a very low cost. I've averaged about $10/Mo for 5 years after taking up these methods and never had anything but a perfect gorgeous pool.

I hope we get to see your test results posted soon and good luck to you!

Chris

Worrying about high TA is almost meaningless. It is much more important to maintain the pH in the proper range. But I am guessing a pool store put you on the pH roller coaster given all of the chemicals you have been adding
There are two spa stores but not even an actual pool store. He told us to raise the ph and sold us a ton of stuff once he ran an in store test (two times over two days).

The trouble is, everyone I talk to and everything I read states to get TA down, then get ph up slowly, then we can shock the pool. We just don’t know what to do and the one pool service in town is so busy, he feels uncomfortable taking us on as clients.

Test strips are worthless, especially if the readings go out of the normal range.

I would suggest that you wait for the good test kit before doing anything else.

The cyanuric acid level is also very important to know because it can affect the TA reading if it's super high.

I have a solid test on the way. We just live in a place where it takes a bit to get it delivered.
Fame,

Good for you, and we'll have your pool in great shape in very short order. As James pointed out your test results can't be right. Once you get good results it will be easy for our experts to give you step by step advice. Follow it and you'll quickly be in gorgeous TFP pool bliss. Also, you'll quickly learn the basics yourself. Down the road when you have hardware or upgrades or major maintenance projects we have experts in each to advise also. It can be very nice to combine your personal preferences with their expert advice that's not conflicted to get the most bang for your buck.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.