High TA, adding MA daily to keep my CSI low

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
A little over a week ago I drained our pool due to very high CH (1200). Our fill water has a TA of 120 and has stayed at that number for 8 days. I'm adding between 16 to 40oz almost daily(60oz today) to keep my PH around 7.5 and CSI slightly below 0. I reviewed the ABC's of pool chemistry and noticed that there was no reference to CSI relationship to PH anywhere. Am I high or something:)? I know we're not susposed to chase" numbers. But I do want to keep my CH down as long as possible so I don't start setting calcium scale and have to re drain the pool next year.

I recalled being told a while ago that if I lowered my TA, it would have an effect on how much/often I would need to add MA. I had a time locating the Lowering Total Alkalinity page using that in my search string, but somehow found it here trough someones post.

I was about to futher lower my PH from 7.5 to 7.2 and start aerating to raise it PH back up - but thought I should check in to see if that would be a good thing to do.

As always... thanks!
York

TA will come down as you add MA. I suspect you also have evaporation so are still adding high TA fill water. Do not stress too much if your CSI is positive some.

Your MA use will decrease. Mine has recently because we covered the pool and reduced evaporation. So not putting in high TA fill water. When your pH reaches 7.8 or 8, lower it to 7.4-7.6. That TA will fall slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.