High sand filter pressure

Mar 14, 2019
Adelaide, Australia
I have some high sand filter pressure issues. I've recently moved to this house which has a pool. I believe when I first saw the gauge on the sand filter three months ago it sat about 70kpa (10psi)

For some reason now it is about 100kpa, photo below shows 110kpa as I added some DE to the skimmer

I have replaced the gauge with a new one. I have done a somewhat deep clean of the sand filter (which didnt appear too dirty). Both the above didn't reduce the pressure.

Water is crystal clear, skimmer and pump baskets clean, no air bubbles in pump lid, use a dolphin/maytronics robot to clean to reduce load on sand filter

I've had to drain approx 2500-3000L of water tonight due to heavy rains in the past couple of days and noticed the pressure sat at 65-70kpa when wasting which makes me think theres an issue with the sand causing the excess buildup of pressure

What should or could I try to do from here to lower the pressure?
20190503_205103.jpg20190503_204145.jpg

Last edited:
the pressure sat at 65-70kpa when wasting
Stop right there. On waste, the filter is out of the system. It should show zero pressure. If you show pressure on waste, you probably also show pressure when off, which means a bad gauge. And if it goes to zero off but shows pressure on waste, then you have an internal leak on the multiport.

It's a brand new gauge, both the old one and new gauge one zero when pump turns off. Gauge works

Internal leak meaning rotor/spider gasket is busted?
That would be my guess. Something is interfering with normal operation. You just shouldn't show pressure on waste. Waste is into the multiport and straight out the overflow, bypassing the filter completely. So why does the filter show pressure?

Wo
That would be my guess. Something is interfering with normal operation. You just shouldn't show pressure on waste. Waste is into the multiport and straight out the overflow, bypassing the filter completely. So why does the filter show pressure?

Would there be any residual pressure still since the pump pushing the water somewhere, even if it is to waste? I did a search and cant find anywhere on the net if there should or shouldn't be pressure when wasting water

Also it does leak water out the backwash/waste pipe when it is on the filter function. So theres an issue with the multiport seal either way

Where does your backflush water go? Out a line into the yard? Into the sewer? Unless the waste line is very small, there should be no filter pressure when on backwash/waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature does not show your pump. An oversized pump for the system can also have high pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.