High Salt/Amps shutting down chlorinator

eggman

LifeTime Supporter
I couldn't log into my old account "eggman" so I created this one to ask this question.

Here's my problem/question. My old salt cell was giving me low readings while my test strips were telling me the level was 3900-4100 PPM. I just installed a new cell and it's getting a "High Salt/Amps" reading which means - hooray - the new cell is probably reading correctly.

The Pool Calculator says I need to change out 22% of my water - which I would rather not do. Can I turn the chlorinator off and maintain my chlorine using 12.5% bleach until mother nature lowers the salt PPM back to a working level?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
That depends on where you live. Can you add a location? In my area, you would have to wait forever. If you are located where it rains, it is possible.

I have notified our Admin to merge your accounts.

eggman

LifeTime Supporter
That depends on where you live. Can you add a location? In my area, you would have to wait forever. If you are located where it rains, it is possible.

I have notified our Admin to merge your accounts.
Sorry for the lack of details. I live in Pearland, Texas - just outside of Houston. We get plenty of rain.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Move the switch to off and check the diagnostic readings.

Then, move the switch to auto and check the readings again before the unit shuts off.