Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm entertaining replacing my filter with a sand filter and heard from one company that "You really need the pump to run at high speed for a sand filter". Everything I've learned here over the many years suggests this is Bull and they simply don't know what they are talking about. I have a Pentair VS pump and would of course use that on a new filter. Just to make sure, there's not really any truth to what I was told is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of folks here using sand filters with VS pumps at low speeds.

So why do you want to change to a sand filter? I assume it is because you are back washing your DE all the time...

I have a couple of rent houses with DE filters and I don't backwash any more... I only open and clean them twice a year because I use the TFP process and because I run most of the time at a low RPM.. Filter pressure is always less than 8 to 10 psi.. even after 6 months.

Thanks,

Jim R.

How often a DE filter needs to be backwashed or cleaned depends on tne environment the pool lives in. Depends what type of vegatation and dirt you have around the pool.

I need to backwash my DE around four times or so a 6 month season. Once after pool opening when the water is getting cleaned of winters stuff. Then usually after a big storm or landscapers blow too much dirt into the pool.

A robot cleaner will keep the dirt from accumulating in your DE filter.

I don't backwash anymore and no guessing how much DE remains in my system after doing it.
My skimmer hair nets also help me remove much of the surface debris and keep them from hitting the grids inside.

Not dead set on changing, just was a thought. I don't backwash much at all really given the amount of trees I have in my yard and all the pollen here in VA. I am getting DE back in the pool from somewhere. My guess is the multiport value or gasket in there or maybe the filter media. Filters old and I inherited it with the house so the media could be quite old though I didn't see any tears at the start of this past season. I've had sand before (different pool) as well under TFP protocol and had just as beautiful looking pool as my DE. Now I know that either of those fixes is less than a sand filter, but if I were to make the change, I personally just like the ease of maintenance of a sand filter. Agree on the cleaner, my Polaris 280 is still alive and kicking and definitely helps.

I'm entertaining replacing my filter with a sand filter and heard from one company that "You really need the pump to run at high speed for a sand filter". Everything I've learned here over the many years suggests this is Bull and they simply don't know what they are talking about.

You are correct. In fact, they filter best at low pump speed and not at high speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.