high pressure, three-way valve, return lines

mgebhard

Mar 17, 2022
California
I just started taking care of a pool and don't have much background knowledge.

Problem: From what I've deduced, there is a three-way valve (see pics) on the return line that sends filtered water back to either a return jet or a side return (with a pressure-driven cleaner attached). When the valve is set to return water through the jet and the pump is on, water flows through the filter at a reasonable pressure and everything looks fine. However, when the valve is set to return water to the side return, the filter pressure is very high and there is much less flow.

History: A few weeks ago, the difference in pressure between the two valve positions wasn't so large, although still evident. When the valve was in the side return position, there was still decent flow and the pressure-driven cleaner was active. Now the pressure is much higher. I've cleaned the cartridge filters a month ago and a week ago so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong there.

Am I misunderstanding what this valve is doing? And what could be causing the high pressure in only one valve position?

Attachments

• pipes.jpeg
    pipes.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 14
  • pipes2.jpeg
    pipes2.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP.

Show us complete pics of all your pool equipment plumbing. The pipes disappear to the left. What do they connect to?

Show us pics of the jet and the side return and your overall pool.

I've struggled to figure out what's going on because most of the plumbing is buried. In particular, the three-way valve on the return line is connected to three lines that go into the ground. Of those three, I was assuming they are the following: (1) from cartridge filter outlet, (2) to pool side return, (3) to pool jet return.

Here are a bunch of pictures.

Attachments

• cartridge_filter.jpg
    cartridge_filter.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 8
  • side_return.jpg
    side_return.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 7
  • return_plumbing_3.jpg
    return_plumbing_3.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 7
  • return_plumbing_2.jpg
    return_plumbing_2.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 8
  • return_plumbing_1.jpg
    return_plumbing_1.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 8
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 8
  • overall_pump.jpg
    overall_pump.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 7
  • jet_return.jpg
    jet_return.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 8
  • intake_plumbing_2.jpg
    intake_plumbing_2.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 9
  • intake_plumbing_1.jpg
    intake_plumbing_1.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.