CML

Mar 12, 2021
Mid Atlantic area
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm not a new pool owner, but am new to this forum. I have some knowledge of pool chemistry and how to care for the pool, but have not had to deal with the specific issues that I am having now...and there are many!

Today I'm concerned with the high level of phosphates that just won't come down despite using almost 1 gallon of phosphate remover (Natural Chemistry Trade Grade Phosphate Remover from Leslie's).

We recently had our pool re-plastered in a Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Just as they finished up the plastering, the pool water delivery truck showed up to fill the pool with water from a local hydrant. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post a picture on this site (!) but suffice it to say...it was dark brown disgusting water. We couldn't even see the bottom of the NEWLY PLASTERED pool!!! They immediately started filtering the dirty water. From what we could see from the shallow end, the sediment at the bottom was rust in color. They immediately added a sequestering agent/metal out product (phosphate free, from Leslie's), I believe they added some muriatic acid to prevent staining (?) and a cuLater packet in the skimmer, vacuumed w a brush vac almost every day. From the day after plaster day, and all days going forward, the pool chemistries (pH, TA, Ca Hardness) were all in the proper ranges except for the phosphates which were always elevated - well over 5500. Although we had trouble maintaining the chlorine levels over this past month, we didn't treat for for elevated phosphate levels for 30 days, per Wet Edge start up instruction. No algae problems, yet.

Six weeks have passed since the initial event, and the only other agents added to the pool was a phosphate free stain and scale preventer 2 weeks ago. Currently, I am trying to lower the phosphates. The filter grids have been cleaned, we've run it non stop for 48 hours, backwashed, etc and after repeating this scenario 3 more times, the phosphates today were 4500 (up from 4300, 4 days ago). We even had our hose water tested to see if that was a contributing factor since we've been filling a lot due to the numerous backwashes - hose water phos level was 1656. Any ideas why the phosphates won't budge?
As an added note.... The pool is streaked on the bottom, it looks stained and the plaster has areas of pitting all over the bottom. The plaster company wants to send a diver in to evaluate, however that hasn't been scheduled as yet - this will be my next big issue!

Welcome to the forum!
Be aware, TFPC does not focus on phosphates. In reality, they are irrelevant to proper pool water chemistry.
You mention the water chemistry is in 'proper ranges'. What are the results? How did you test your water chemistry.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Howdy CML! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

You kind of answered your own question. If your fill water has a level of almost 1700 ppb, then the level in your pool is only going to go up from there. Evaporation will cause the concentration to continually rise over time. The same process is true with CH for pool owners that have very hard fill water. But as Marty says, your phosphate level shouldn't matter if your FC is at the proper level to sanitize your pool"s water.

If they filled from a hydrant and you ended up with a lot of iron. You may have a similar issue with high iron content in your fill water.

Read up on how we do things here. Its different than the pool store. But we have the science to back up our methodology. Pool store recommendations are usually based in outdated pool maintenance standards. So get your own test kit so we can start discussing your pools chemistry.
Test Kits Compared

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.