Clovis, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Yesterday, I tested my pH and it was 8.3, so I added the amount of 31.45% Muriatic acid the pool math app said to add. I just tested today and it is 8.2 which is still high, so I added more Muriatic acid. Is it possible I just got old Muriatic that isn’t as effective as it should be? Something else wrong? FYI TA is 80 (raised it from 50 to 80 yesterday morning by adding baking soda).

Another possibility is your initial reading was higher than 8.3 as that is the top or above the drop test range. Note that if your FC is above 10ppm then the pH drop test can be skewed and is not accurate.
Only use enough muriatic acid to drop your pH by 0.3 for each application. Better to do that several times than overshoot and scramble. Test often and a minimum of 30 minutes after an application with the pump running.

Another possibility is your initial reading was higher than 8.3 as that is the top or above the drop test range. Note that if your FC is above 10ppm then the pH drop test can be skewed and is not accurate.
Only use enough muriatic acid to drop your pH by 0.3 for each application. Better to do that several times than overshoot and scramble. Test often and a minimum of 30 minutes after an application with the pump running.
Yeah I guessed about 8.3 given the color. Good advice on the 0.3 increments! I also read that pH climbs like crazy in a new pebble pool, and mine is only 2 weeks old, so definitely a contributing factor.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.