High Ph and TA. Listen to pool math app?

nickprette

Sep 2, 2016
Lomnbard,IL
TA is at a 150
Ph on the k-1000 is 8.2 or higher???

Punch it into pool math app without TA and it wants me to add 9.8 oz of muriatic but punch in the TA with the Ph and it wants me to add 115 oz.

That large difference made me come to the forum....thoughts?

Side note I got done slamming about 4 days ago

36,000 gal plaster
FC 2.5
CC 0
CH 300
Water is clear

With a TA of 150 and a pH of 8.2 and a goal of 7.4, you need 106 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid added to the pool. Let that circulate for 30 minutes or so and test pH and TA again. If pH still not in the 7's, calculate how much acid you need to reach 7.4.

Reactions: nickprette
You just discovered why we test TA. It has a huge effect on pH adjustments. The TA number itself has a wide allowance for what's acceptable.

If you're off the top of the scale on pH, there's no telling whether you're just at 8.2 or way up at 8.8. And the numbers are logarithmic, like the Richter Scale, so 8 is 10X bigger than 7. So dose it and give it plenty of time to react and circulate, and retest. It may be perfect or it may still say 8.2. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Just repeat it until the color moves into range. After that when you adjust, once ought to do it.

Reactions: nickprette
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.