High pH and high TA question

May 20, 2017
Seattle
Hi all,

I've got pH at 8.5 and TA at 120, poolmath has me adding 2 quarts, 3 cups of muriatic acid to reach targets for pH and TA.

I would like to scrub the tiles at the waterline and the diving board with a diluted muriatic acid wash. If I use the 2 quarts recommended to correct pH and TA anyway, and then hose it off into the pool, is that the "same" as adding the recommended amount?

Thoughts? Two birds one stone ya know? :laughblue:

First of all you should not make a pH change of more than 0.6 at once. PoolMath calculations are not that precise for large pH changes. Best to do a few 0.4-0.6 changes and retest in between. High pH is not a big problem. Low pH is acidic and can become a big problem.

You should dilute MA at least 4:1 for tile cleaning. Clean the tiles, hose them off, and then test your pH about 30 minutes after and see where it ended up. Then do further MA doses as necessary.

Reactions: Molly Schmidt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.