High filter pressure within an hour.

Sep 14, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Hello, been lurking for a while off and on and been successfully taking care of my first inground pool for two years now thanks to the advice on this forum.

The last two weeks I hit a problem I'm having trouble solving. I changed my DE filters last year because they had holes in them. I cleaned them twice since then and the last time was two weeks ago. Lots of sand and dog hair caked in there. I put everything back together and get good filter pressure around 11psi before adding DE. While I was getting the DE I noticed my sprayer was slowly dropping and the pressure on the filter was going up. In an hour the pressure went to 20PSI. Pool was clean and blue. I tried back washing it and that got the filter pressure back to 11psi but then it creeps up again. If I let it go too long, it hits 25psi and an air pocket forms in the pump basket area.

Reluctantly, I'm about ready to take the filter apart again. Anything I should be looking for here? Water looks good no appearance of algae. Dog hair is actually less than usual compared to the past two years because we lost one of our buddies. I tried moving my pump valve from 50/50 drains to skimmer only and vice versa thinking maybe a blockage but same thing happens each way. Open for ideas.

BTW the push pull valve to backwash is a real pain in the rear. That thing gets stuck faster than my wife in the desert. Any suggestion how to replace that with something better?

TIA!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I gotta say ... while you note there is no visible algae, everything you describe matches that of an pre-emerging algae bloom. Can you post a full set of water test results? Since you've been lurking around for a while, you know we look for test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That would certainly help.

Well things certainly have warmed up a lot so that makes sense . I'll give that a try and see what results we get. I have the Taylor kit but for some reason I question the readings. My hard water seems to mess with things but I will give it another try and post. Thanks!

Hard water does not effect the test results. I know - I have the same Colorado River water you do!!
Yea, but I'm downstream from you. It might not be the hard water then but whatever comes out of your treatment facility and probably 50 others. ;) City water here has an oily sheen appearance when it dries on windows, I don't drink it. Unfortunately I have to fill the pool with it. If I remember right I get a few different colors than expected with some of the tests. I'll try the tests again. Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I tried hair nets and have trouble keeping them in place. I need to be smarter about how to attach them, maybe use a large rubber band. Any suggestions?
Not a clue. I use nylons myself.

skimmer2-jpg.21240

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I gotta say ... while you note there is no visible algae, everything you describe matches that of an pre-emerging algae bloom. Can you post a full set of water test results? Since you've been lurking around for a while, you know we look for test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That would certainly help.

Following up on this. Excellent call! I re-opened the filter and sure enough it was bright green with algae and these small black things. I hosed it off and put it back together then dumped the right amount of algaecide in the pool and that cleared it up as the pressure now stays near the backwash pressure. The black things were potting soil mix. Seems the wife planted some new plants and the dog was dragging some of it into the pool. Thanks!!

And thanks Richard for the panty hose trick. That works very well and you can see what would pass through the skimmer basket if I did not have one of those in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.