High FC demand - citric acid mistake, antifreeze, something else?

Slowrider5

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Hi Folks,

I learn something new about the pool every year and this year proves to be no exception. I wanted to open early and opened myself this year. I had intended to do a stain treatment with ascorbic acid before swim season started. Chlorine was low and temps were low so thought it would be an opportune time.

I dosed the pool with poly 60, at about 1.5X label recommendations. Added in 1.5 containers (3lb) of StainFree Advanced. Saw absolutely no change in stains on the pool. In a moment of frustration, I ordered super cheap 5lb bag of citric acid and dumped the whole thing in the next day (Thanks Amazon Prime One-Day). This was of course before I did some research on the forums and found that citric acid needs 3X the amount of FC to neutralize it as compared to ascorbic. And yes, I violated a cardinal rule of using more than needed of any chemical in the pool.

At the same time I added citric acid, we went from 60 degree temps to 80 degree temps and pool water got cloudy despite poly 60. I went ahead and added Jack's Magic as directed and a culator and began raising FC. Since the water got cloudy, I had to raise FC higher than planned but didn't have a choice.

Ever since, my FC demand has been extremely high despite crystal clear water. I'm going thru 1 gal of 12.5% LC per day (approx 5ppm). In good times, my consumption was more like 1ppm per day, rising to 2ppm when temps got to 90+. The more I read, I chalked this up to a lesson learned on citric acid. I've been going now for 12 days and the consumption hasn't changed. I've added 25 gals LC (125ppm), and I don't fully understand math on citric acid neutralization but thought it should be gone by now. I've done all the little things that in the past helped get me over the hump during a SLAM (light niche, extra brushing, spraying tile above water and skimmers with diluted bleach). Wondered if something was growing in the filter but that didn't make sense and forum research would indicate that anything that was growing in there would have been killed by SLAM levels of chlorine.

Back to the point about opening myself this year, now I'm wondering if it could be antifreeze? At closing, typically between 11-15 gallons are used by the pool man. I did not try to remove this in any way before opening.

Any other idea? Here are my latest test results:

• FC - 16.5 (Was aiming for 15 with CYA of 30)
  • CC - 1.5 (Have not been able to get a reading less than 1 in a week, it is usually 1.5. Early on in the SLAM it was consistently 2 or 2.5 so it has improved slightly.
  • ph - 7.2 (measured before slam started)
  • TA - 275
  • CH - 500
  • CYA - 10 (Had been 30 at opening, but when pool water got cloudy it must have gone to zero and I did not realize it until 2-3 days ago when I lost all FC in an afternoon of swimming. The pool only sees light use on weekends and cover is closed at all other times. I am working on getting it back up to 30.)

Last edited:
Antifreeze has been known to cause high FC demand for some time.

Search the forum. I remember lots of discussion about it the same time last year .....

Antifreeze has been known to cause high FC demand for some time.

Search the forum. I remember lots of discussion about it the same time last year .....

Thanks, I have been doing that which is where I got the idea about antifreeze. Unfortunately, can't find any way to test for it (chemgeek apparently shipped bottles of water to be tested). And there is a lot of complicated math and no real definitive answers that I can see. The one thing that sticks out to me is none of the others had issues with CC being >1. I wonder if I am still burning up citric acid. Last time we were in the pool over the weekend the chloromine smell was noticeable for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.