High CYA test result before opening pool

ewrypa

Apr 28, 2017
Wapakoneta/Ohio
I am about 3 weeks from opening my pool. Like so many others, I found TFP after I got hosed by my pool store last year. I just got my Taylor K2006 kit. Just for fun I thought I would sneak out a sample of my winterized pool water and found out what my CYA level is with my pool at about 68% of its water level. I got somewhere around 130ppm even diluting the sample and restesting. Granted it was my first time doing the test ( I work in a lab so I have some skills :eek: ). Anyway, I got a little overzealous last fall when I winterized and I think I put in 2 quarts of Polyquat 60. Is it possible that it could be skewing my readings high for CYA. I wonder because last spring when I opened the pool, the store tested and said I had very little CYA and sold me whatever. I put it in like a good boy, but never tested it. I found TFP site shortly after that and used TriChlor maybe one 3" stick per week. Mostly used liquid chlorine. So I don't think I should have that much CYA but....

Current Test Results:
FC = 0
Alk = 270
CYA = 130
pH = 7.8

Welcome to TFP!

No the poly would not skew the test. However, you can not really get good test if the water has not been circulated.

Well, whatever the pool store told you to put in plus the Trichlor could certainly have made the CYA high.

Thanks for the response. I should not have been so antsy for testing. I just wanted to get the drop on it before I top it off on opening day. I wonder if I should try and drain a few inches out the day before I start to refill just to be proactive.

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but does this mean you should run pump for awhile (for example, overnight) then test CYA?

Welcome to TFP!

No the poly would not skew the test. However, you can not really get good test if the water has not been circulated.

Well, whatever the pool store told you to put in plus the Trichlor could certainly have made the CYA high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.