High CYA, starting over, ditching the pool companies!

We have had several members test Bio-Active and the results were less than satisfactory. It only worked for a couple of people, and even then they saw maybe a 20ppm drop in CYA, and second applications saw no further reductions. The conditions it works under are difficult to identify and replicate. You can type "Bio-Active" in the search bar to pull up those threads if you would like to read them. It is probably cheaper and more efficient to just replace water than to use Bio-Active.

Ha, that's what I figured I would hear! Has anyone tried the product to lower CYA? It's called Bio Active. Just wondering which would be cheaper-the $50 bag of CYA remover or draining and refilling my 35,000 gallon pool (not counting the spa) yet again...
Thank you!
This is the most recent report. New Pool Owner-Bad Chemist He had some success. However, now the water is cloudy. I wonder how much bleach it's gonna take, and how much that's gonna cost? If you can replace water without paying someone $600 to drop a forty dollar submersible pump in, water's gotta be cheaper.

Was in the same situation last year with very high CYA. Two separate drain/refills of 2/3 of the pool each time solved the problem. That, with no more puck addiction and managing the water per TFP standards = perfect pool. Getting there takes patience but it pays off big time. Keep asking questions and persevere, you'll get there.

Ok, more water draining it is then. :)
By the way, any companies make and sell chlorine granules like the pool shock, except without the junk we don't want to put in our pools? This would be much easier than lugging dozens of gallon jugs of bleach....guessing some may be out there, but more expensive than buying it by the gallon jug....

Granulated chlorine has to have something added to it, either CYA, Calcium, or Lithium. Lithium Chlorite is expensive and not widely available in some areas. CYA and Calcium both accumulate over time and are lowered by draining and refilling.

Those who tire of lugging jugs around either install a stenner pump or liquidator to dispense liquid chlorine, or the install a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.