High CYA safe for trees?

Apr 23, 2017
Las Vegas
I have high CYA (300+) in my pool (13,000g) from the last year of using dichlor (didn't have easy access to liquid chlorine). My PH is ok but it's becoming difficult to lower my TA (200+) and my chlorine (using liquid now) doesn't seem to last long.

I would like to do a partial drain/refill and I'm wondering if it's safe to use the water on my trees (large palm and pistachio)? Will the high CYA/TA be any danger to big trees? I have no grass (just rocks), low FC/CC (1ppm), and will spread it out over a few days (water restrictions).

Thanks

*also, any recommendations for a good garden hose filter for the refil? We have really hard water here.

I would be more concerned about the salinity in your water and the impact on your trees. Research your trees tolerance to moderate and high salinity water levels then test your water before you decide to saturate the soil.

Hrmm looks like the only easy way to test salinity is with a semi expensive tool? I mean I've never added anything to the pool but water from the garden hose, can the pool chemicals (dichlor, muratic acid, and liquid chlorine) really raise the salinity to levels that would be unsafe for trees?

Reactions: Wasem
You can use this kit for salt, rather inexpensive.

And yes, adding chlorine will raise salt levels. Many are surprised to learn that over time a "chlorine pool" will have the same salinity as a salt water pool from the chlorine. Take a look at the Pool Math app and see the "effects of adding" section. It will show you how much salt gets added for every chlorine addition.

Reactions: Wasem
Those items, plus people, add salinity to your pool water.
If you have not drained in the last two years, I would suspect your salinity is above 2000 ppm.
Most plants here are salt tolerant as the soil builds salinity if you water with Colorado river water. It has a salinity of about 200 ppm. With little rain, it builds in the soil.
I drain my pool to the sewer clean out.

Reactions: proavia
Well lets assume the salt won't hurt the trees, especially since I will only be draining maybe 1/3 of the water at a time, spread out across the yard, with the 110 degree sun evaporating most of it.

Is there any concern about the CYA itself?

To my knowledge, the CYA is not an issue. There may be white deposits left after evaporating due to calcium, salt, etc.

Hrmm the more I think about it though maybe it's best to just drain to the sewer (and not let levels get this high next time).

The problem is, it's a 75 ft maze of sharp rocks and cacti from my pool to the drain... gonna need to order a drainage hose coupler too (my one 50 ft hose isn't long enough).

So I assume this is where I'm 'supposed' to drain my pool (this water connection box is at the front of my house)...

drain.jpg

That three inch circular pipe sticking up in the middle? The problem is I don't have a hose long enough (its over 50 ft from my pool). And there are many sharp rocks and cacti in the way.

So I was thinking, could I just run a garden hose in my kitchen window and drain into my sink? I have a fiberglass pool so I need to do a simultaneous drain/refil, so the flow should be low enough (standard garden hose) to not overload my sink drain.

Would this work? Or do I just need to buy a longer hose and drain to the front?

Thanks

While I suppose it's possible that could work, there's not a snowball's chance I'd try it. One little clog and you'll be swimming in your kitchen. Buy the hose.

That said, others in the Vegas area could comment on where exactly you should run the hose to properly drain. Different cities have different rules about that sort of thing. I don't think your picture shows a drain - that's a shutoff of sorts. That may be a capped drain in the center but hard to tell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In theory, yes. In practice, your sink will have much smaller diameter plumbing meaning it won't drain very fast. I would guess any pump you use will pump more water than the sink can handle and it will overflow.

Yeah I contemplated the possibility of my sink overflowing...

I think my garden hose might stretch to the front drain, but can anyone confirm this IS where I'm supposed to drain the water? This junction box is the only thing near my front spigot. And I don't see any pipes with those square knobs on the top... this has to be it right?

drain2.jpg

Yeah I contemplated the possibility of my sink overflowing...

I think my garden hose might stretch to the front drain, but can anyone confirm this IS where I'm supposed to drain the water? This junction box is the only thing near my front spigot. And I don't see any pipes with those square knobs on the top... this has to be it right?

View attachment 445043

That does look like the sewer cleanout that should be used. It just looks look someone put a rubber cap and a hose clamp on it instead of the screw lid. Take off the hose clamp and cap and see if it's just a hollow sewer tube. If so, that's the cleanout. Though I've never seen a cleanout that far from the house next to the water shutoff.

Check around the perimeter of your house. Some cleanouts will be near the foundation and others in the wall usually near a spigot.

I spent almost a month searching for my cleanout and never found it. I finally had a brainstorm and contacted my local wastewater agency. They emailed me a diagram showing the location. So maybe try that instead of guessing.

Welp don't think that pipe is the drain. I tested it with just a trickle from the garden hose and it started to fill up fast (it did drain eventually). So it's either clogged, or not designed to handle a high flow of water.

Left messages with my local water district asking for info, but not expecting a timely response...

The Clark County Water Reclaimation District is your waste water company. If you are in a newer area you have multiple clean outs around your home.

The house was built in 85 and there was NOT a pool here originally. Is it possible we just don't have a cleanout drain? Maybe this drain in the junction box IS the main 'cleanout drain', and it's just clogged? Seemed strange that it could only handle a small trickle of water...

You have a clean out. Will be on the side of the house that is where the sewer line is. Look for manholes in the street.

The drain backing up so fast concerned me, so I called out a plumber. He confirmed that this IS my main cleanout, and it was indeed clogged. After snaking it ($390 ouch), the drain is flowing great.

I'm currently draining the pool with a 1/3hp sump pump, but since I'm using a standard garden hose it looks like this is going to take multiple days.

I also got a garden hose filter for the refill so hopefully that will help.

Reactions: Sunnydaze
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.