High cyA - Options During Summer?

SparklingRose

Jun 14, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Hi There,

I moved into my home about 8 months ago and just kept working with the pool guy from the previous owner. Hahaha - had no idea about the trichlor pucks (more were added recently which raised some suspicions for me - we had 3 floating o_O) and now have very high cyA. I'm now in charge of managing the pool now and feeling a bit worried about maintaining our high FC levels to prevent an algae bloom. We're in the middle of a heat wave in AZ so I'm not feeling very comfortable about the 72% drain recommended by the pool calculator considering the plaster.

I did my first testing this morning using Taylor K-2006C
FC: 7.5 (Leslie's said it was 15 last week so unsure about this.)
pH: 8 (may be higher - tested at Leslie's and a local store last week - they said 8.1)
cyA: 180 (did the 50% dilution test - Leslie's said about 160 last week)

The pucks have officially dissolved and I am out of sanitizer! Which means I need to get some in there SOON!

Questions:
1) Is it possible to maintain such a high FC (recommended 14-21 PPM) with liquid bleach? I do plan to drain my pool - in the winter as I have a crack that needs repair anyhow.

2) Should I be shocking and are there any shocks that exist that won't increase my cyA anymore?

3) Has anyone had experience with tracking such a high FC with the Taylor K-2006C? The kit says that it can test up to 20 PPM but feeling unsure about that.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
1 - You can try. An FC that high might skew some of your other tests, just be aware.
2 - "Shocks" in the pool store sense are not something we recommend here at TFP. Simply keep the water balanced and "shock" on a weekly basis are not required. When we get algae, we follow the SLAM Process.
3 - See our FC/CYA Levels. Find your CYA and corresponding FC for that pool type. Those ratios are perfectly safe. You can be in the water as long as you don't exceed your SLAM FC level.

Visit the link below for vital pool care info.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if your CH is quite high, so be sure to control the pH to compensate and help prevent scale. Probably no more than about 7.6 if you can. Next time you post results, post them all as follows:

FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

:)

My CYA is around 150, I plan to drain and refill in the fall. I have a 36k gal IG plaster pool and have been maintaining FC between 10-17ppm all summer, also in Phoenix, by adding about 3-6 gallons of liquid chlorine every week. So it is managable. And since I can pick up 2 gals for $8 at Frys, it's not that unaffordable either. I make sure that I manage my pH and try hard to keep it at 7.7.

Hope this helps,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.