high cya not sure what to do

Aug 17, 2018
Souderton
Hello I have a 28000 gallon chlorine in ground pool I test today and these are my results:

PH 7.5
FC 9
CC 0
TA 90
CYA 70

I opened the pool in May and my CYA has been 40-50 and now it's 70 Pool school math says I should take out 43% of my water. I did this in May and my liner shifted so I am afraid to do that again. Is there anything else I can do to get my CYA lower thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

Pretty much all you can do to lower CYA is replace water. Reverse osmosis is available at a high price tag in some areas.

At 70, it isn't unmanageable but I suspect you're chlorinating with trichlor or dichlor which is adding CYA. You'd need to switch to liquid chlorine ASAP.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Can you post what test kit you have?

It is not imperative that you need to drain any water. Manage your FC at your CYA of 70 ppm. Use [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. If your CYA has been climbing I suspect you have been using solid chlorine products. Use only liquid chlorine/bleach from now on to chlorinate.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Chlorine pucks and clear brite pucks from the pool store drove our CYA over 300. My fault for not testing frequently enough.

I spent 2 weeks draining and filling slowly. Couple hours of filling with the garden hose... let it circulate for a few hours... open the waste valve and blow off a few hundred gallons.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Per advice from the guys above, I switched to liquid chlorine bleach yesterday.

CYA is now 50ppm and 5ppm chlorine this morning.

Stop using the chlorine pucks.

You don't have a signature set up to tell us if you are running a salt water pool...

If you ARE running one, a CYA of 70 is acceptable, and recommended, but if not, you need to take corrective measures.

With a FC of 9 you are at the bottom end of where you should be without a SWG, and at the top end of where you should be with one.

As Marty said, read the recommendations that we provide, and you should be fine.

I just read back through... again, as Marty said, you CAN maintain a chlorine pool at 70 CYA.... over the winter, your CYA should drop a bit for you. (We are getting into the end of swim season here).
I would keep my FC at the recommended levels for you CYA for the remainder of the season with BLEACH / Liquid chlorine... NO PUCKS! And see where I am at the beginning of next season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.