High CYA, Need to Drain Water But Not Sure About Safety of Level Below Skimmer

A diverter plate doesn't seal well enough to allow for draining. Enough air leaks by that it causes the pump to lose prime, then you are done, because you won't be able to get the pump to prime again. It is possible sometimes to use a vacuum hose with one end inserted in the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer, and the other weighted in the bottom of the pool. But even then, if you lose prime , your done. Best way is a submersible pump. I have bottom drains, skimmers, and vacuum hook-up, all with individual valves, and I still use a submersible for draining.

Which side of that picture is the pool on?

The pool is on the left side of that pic.

A diverter plate doesn't seal well enough to allow for draining. Enough air leaks by that it causes the pump to lose prime, then you are done, because you won't be able to get the pump to prime again. It is possible sometimes to use a vacuum hose with one end inserted in the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer, and the other weighted in the bottom of the pool. But even then, if you lose prime , your done. Best way is a submersible pump. I have bottom drains, skimmers, and vacuum hook-up, all with individual valves, and I still use a submersible for draining.

Yeah... if the bottom drains are plumbed into the skimmers only, I'm having a hard time seeing how I could rely on them for draining. It also makes me question the point of them in the first place. Maybe there would be some value with circulation but that's about the only thing I can think of.
Still, I do think the float valves could be a good idea assuming my drains are plumbed into the skimmer. But only from a safety perspective.

If you have a bottom drain that is plumbed through the skimmer you need to have a diverter in the bottom of the skimmer. Without one you won't draw any water at all from the bottom drain.

The pool is on the left side of that pic.

Yeah... if the bottom drains are plumbed into the skimmers only, I'm having a hard time seeing how I could rely on them for draining. It also makes me question the point of them in the first place. Maybe there would be some value with circulation but that's about the only thing I can think of.
Still, I do think the float valves could be a good idea assuming my drains are plumbed into the skimmer. But only from a safety perspective.

Main drains are a hydraulic anachronism from years gone by. From a hydraulic perspective they are essentially useless. There are many, many threads on TFP about people building pools without main drains and they are perfectly fine. TFP Expert mas985 has written about this ad-nauseum.

Even if the MD is plumbed directly to the pump, pool pumps are incredibly inefficient at pumping water that way once you drain down a foot or so. As the hydrostatic pressure drops from the lowered water level, you start to run the pump at a very inefficient point in it's pumping curve.

As chiefwej has posted, your best bet is a submersible pump and it will drain your pool A LOT faster than your pump will. You can rent them from almost any Home Depot or Lowes or buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight for the cost of a few days worth of rentals. Submersible pumps are a good tool to have around when one owns a pool.

You can say they are anachronistic, but with an in floor cleaning systems they are a necessity.

You can say they are anachronistic, but with an in floor cleaning systems they are a necessity.

Of for sure. You can't have in-floor system without some kind of main drain. I was talking about pools that don't have in-floors. They serve no real purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.