High CYA, first time LC user

SLAM levels of chlorine will lose a lot more FC to the sun than when it's down in maintenance levels. You lose more FC to the sun the higher concentration of FC is in the pool. That's why the maintain part of "SLAM" is important - gotta keep replacing what the sun eats up to keep that FC level up where it's keeping any algae dead.
good to know. maybe I’ll do a couple mid day additions. I should have trusted the text and done that from the start knowing what I know now 🤦‍♂️

good to know. maybe I’ll do a couple mid day additions. I should have trusted the text and done that from the start knowing what I know now 🤦‍♂️
It's fine, if you were doing 2-3 times a day the process will work, it just takes longer than if you can keep that FC up where it needs to be to kill anything in the pool (without being so high that it can damage pool surfaces/equipment). :)

Reactions: bja1288
HEY!!!

If you click the gear in the upper right hand corner of Pool Math, and scroll to the bottom, and enable "Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile," we will be able to see your logs by clicking on your username. This will avoid big pictures of your logs and we can see them anytime!

HEY!!!

If you click the gear in the upper right hand corner of Pool Math, and scroll to the bottom, and enable "Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile," we will be able to see your logs by clicking on your username. This will avoid big pictures of your logs and we can see them anytime!
cool, figured there’s gotta be a better way to do this lol. done.

Stalling out the past few days. Is my liner at risk if I keep this up? My sanity certainly is. I’m starting to see white splotches on the liner at the deep end 🤦‍♂️
6/27: 6.5 FC, 2 CC -> 0 FC, 0.75 CC
6/28: 18 FC, 1 CC -> 10 FC, 1 CC
6/29: 22 FC, 1 CC -> 14.5 FC, 0.75 CC
6/30: 18.5 FC, 0.75 CC + 1 gal 12.5% -> 18 FC, 0.5 CC
7/1: 21.5 FC, 0.5 CC -> 16.5 FC 0.5 CC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your CYA is still 60, your SLAM level is 24. Are you dosing to 24 at least 3 times per day? 5 or 6 times per day would be better. You've got to keep that FC at SLAM level to keep the algae from coming back until it's all dead.

If your CYA is still 60, your SLAM level is 24. Are you dosing to 24 at least 3 times per day? 5 or 6 times per day would be better. You've got to keep that FC at SLAM level to keep the algae from coming back until it's all dead.
CYA was still 60 as of yesterday. I always dose targeting 24 at least 3 times a day but it never seems to quite get there. Maybe I should add an extra 50% every time. Running out of R-0871 though, shipment won’t be here until Tuesday.

I guess I can buy more reagent at the local store in the meantime. I’ll try doing more frequent additions this weekend. Would have been cheaper to do a complete refill at this point.

Would have been cheaper to do a complete refill at this point.
For some folks that is certainly true, especially nowadays with the cost of chlorine. :( I haven't reviewed this entire thread, but you've had a lot of knowledgeable folks coaching you through this. I saw the pool pics on page 3 and the water looks great. I'm assuming you are still failing an OCLT, is that where you're at now?

For some folks that is certainly true, especially nowadays with the cost of chlorine. :( I haven't reviewed this entire thread, but you've had a lot of knowledgeable folks coaching you through this. I saw the pool pics on page 3 and the water looks great. I'm assuming you are still failing an OCLT, is that where you're at now?
Yep, just waiting on OCLT. My OCLT daily results are a few posts up on this page.

My OCLT daily results are a few posts up on this page.
Looks like a drop of 5 ppm overnight. That's substantial for such clear water and being in a SLAM for this long. I saw above where you don't have lights that would apply (niche). Did you already address a main drain if applicable?

6/27: 6.5 FC, 2 CC -> 0 FC, 0.75 CC
6/28: 18 FC, 1 CC -> 10 FC, 1 CC
6/29: 22 FC, 1 CC -> 14.5 FC, 0.75 CC
6/30: 18.5 FC, 0.75 CC + 1 gal 12.5% -> 18 FC, 0.5 CC
7/1: 21.5 FC, 0.5 CC -> 16.5 FC 0.5 CC
If it helps, after reviewing this entire thread I do see progress. You had some major FC drops in the beginning, so no doubt you had some strong material in the pool eating your chlorine. The past week you can see a transformation from an elevated CC to a much more reasonable CC level. In addition, the FC is holding better which I'm sure is because you have been able to maintain it more consistently. The sanitary conversion process is working. As long as you do not go over the FC SLAM level for your CYA the liner should be safe. I don't know how old your pool/liner is, but sometimes age starts to play a factor regardless. One curse of TFP crystal clear water is being able to see all the imperfections of our pools. :crazy:

Looks like a drop of 5 ppm overnight. That's substantial for such clear water and being in a SLAM for this long. I saw above where you don't have lights that would apply (niche). Did you already address a main drain if applicable?
That’s the first mention of main drain that I’ve heard. What can I do to clean that? I have removed my ladder to take that out of the equation btw. One other thinng I haven’t mentioned is that one wall has liner wrinkling that started last year and has accelerated a bit this year. I think it is because I haven’t been good about keeping pH in check. No signs of leaks, water loss seems normal.

Also, I’ve been doing my scrub after my final LC application of the day but before my final test of the day. Not sure if that’s relevant. I vacuum with my dolphin every morning in the 2 hour walls and floors mode.

That’s the first mention of main drain that I’ve heard.
Glad I could bring something new to the party. :party: You'll have do dive down there, perhaps several times. :snorkle: Remove the cover screws, and lift the cover. Some pool develop a lot of crud in that drain area over time. You would never know it otherwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.