High CYA- draining pool -

May 3, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm getting ready to drain my 16,000 gal in ground gunite pool and wanted to verify what the proper steps are before and after draining the pool. Planning on draining 1/2. I drained a couple feet last week to no avail. CYA still over 100+ What is the proper sequence as far as testing, adding chemicals and cleaning the cartridge filters/running filter. Thanks in advance for your help. Hoping to be swimming by Memorial Day. (fingers crossed)

Have you done a dilute test for the CYA? A half drain may not be enough if your CYA is above 100 by much.

I also would be very wary draining a pool in Houston. What type of pool is this? A signature would help us help you.

An exchange may be a better idea. But do the dilute CYA test first.

Why not start with an better CYA reading? Try the dilution method in step 8. CYA - Cyanuric Acid Test - Trouble Free Pool

It would probably annoy me to no end to replace 50% and still be high and realize that had I just replaced 60% I would be done.

Once the water has been replaced, let it circulate for a while-- I'd say an hour, with some brushing to really get it mixed, and then retest everything. Post up the results and we can help you get things balanced. Also tell us how the water looks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.