High CYA Clear Water

GeNioS

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2019
Kaysville, Utah
Ok...back again for another chastising...... I have always used the pucks and after lurking here and getting some good advice I changed everything. I got concerned about high CYA and changed from the pucks to liquid chorline, test with the dpd instead of strips, etc.

But....when I tested my pool for CYA with the whole dot thing, it tested off the charts. I did another one diluted in half, and it still tested off the scale......enough that I didn't even really bother to do it again....I just figure at the end of the year when I close it, I'll drain the water down below the returns and then when I refill it the CYA level should come down quite a bit and I can test it in the spring. Interestingly (here come the beatings), on a test strip it doesn't test over 100 (done many times).

So just to get through the last month of the season, I put 100 in the CYA in the pool math app, test with the DPD, and then add liquid chlorine. But even at 100 the chart and the app want the free chlorine way higher than I've ever kept it. In the past I've kept the FC around 3...since learning more about CYA I've been keeping it around 5.

So my question is...if the Taylor test is correct and the CYA is off the scale, at 3-5 FC which I've always kept it, shouldn't the water be....I don't know what the word is...vulnerable? Not sure what I'd see...murky waters, or algae, or something? The water is absolutely crystal clear perfect...at least as far as I or the kids can tell.

I was reading some threads on that bio-active CYA remover and remember someone saying that in order to work you had to keep the FC 3 or less. One user was afraid that with their high CYA levels that keeping their FC below 3 would turn the water green from all the algae....and if I recall perhaps they did it and it did......so if my CYA is off the charts, why is my pool not green at the same FC levels? Or am I the worst water tester in the history of mankind?

Thanks again for the site, the app, and the help....... (ok...let me have it)

Double check yourself on how you are performing the CYA test.

When you pour the 50/50 solution into the view tube, the dot disappears before you even get to the 100 mark.......correct?

I suspect the water is not as clear as you think. Can you see a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails?
TFP Clear in North Dallas - there is water in there

Your FC levels are most likely just keeping things away from growing. How comfortable is the water to swim in? Any red eyes, itching skin, chlorine smell?

Bio Active does not work. Do not waste your money on it.

I suspect the water is not as clear as you think. Can you see a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails?
TFP Clear in North Dallas - there is water in there

Your FC levels are most likely just keeping things away from growing. How comfortable is the water to swim in? Any red eyes, itching skin, chlorine smell?

Bio Active does not work. Do not waste your money on it.
That is an amazing photo! I *think*.....I could call the quarter but I'm going to try when I get home. The kids get in every day and seem fine...I got in with them yesterday and wasn't uncomfortable.....they do wear goggles and I don't go under so I can't comment on the eyes. No chlorine smell at all.....

cool, no bio-active...and after your help before if anyone wants a bottle of phosphate remover let me know. I also have a 50 pound bucket of pucks nearly full....what else....I feel like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup with all the golf aids on.

Once you get full control of your pool water chemistry, the pucks will be used to add a touch of CYA occasionally or to use while you are away from your pool.

Where in Utah? St George or Vernal??

Great. I would think you completely winter close the pool, correct? Is this pool vinyl, fiberglass, or gunite? Can you add that to your signature?
It's fiberglass...I'll add that now.

Yes completely close it....although the crazy self I am was trying to figure out how to keep it open but the "If the power goes out, RUN and pull all the drain plugs" line makes that impossible.

Okay, I can definitely see heads or tails in the deep middle which is 6 feet deep.

I just retested cya... Filled with water to 7, with the reagent to 14, shook for 30 seconds....Results attached....

This morning at about 9:45 the free chlorine tested 4, I added about a quart of 10%, it's been covered by a solar cover and the water temp is 92. Current free chlorine reads at just barely under 3.IMG_20190902_145807.jpgIMG_20190902_145822.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say. Keep doing what your are doing if it works -- until it doesn't

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.