High chorine levels and eye sensitivity ??

fredinstl

Jul 26, 2020
St Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Hello all,
our water got a little cloudy a few days back, so I started adding liquid chlorine 12% but not really slamming as I didn't have time to monitor multiple times a day.
Slam levels should have been 28, but I was staying between 15 and 20 by adding a gallon a day.
My understanding is pool is safe to use if staying at or below slam levels.
However my wife's eyes seemed to have had a bad reaction. Somewhat painful and very watery after she used the pool, and still not great after a few hours.
Curious to hear if this is pretty common. Should she stay out of the water until FC is back to say 10 or less ? Should she get advice from a doctor ?
Note that the water is clear again, thinking it will pass the overnight test.
Thanks !!

Hello all,
our water got a little cloudy a few days back, so I started adding liquid chlorine 12% but not really slamming as I didn't have time to monitor multiple times a day.
Slam levels should have been 28, but I was staying between 15 and 20 by adding a gallon a day.
My understanding is pool is safe to use if staying at or below slam levels.
However my wife's eyes seemed to have had a bad reaction. Somewhat painful and very watery after she used the pool, and still not great after a few hours.
Curious to hear if this is pretty common. Should she stay out of the water until FC is back to say 10 or less ? Should she get advice from a doctor ?
Note that the water is clear again, thinking it will pass the overnight test.
Thanks !!
Cloudy water indicates you haven’t been maintaining the chlorine well and something is growing in it. When you add the chlorine, it kills whatever is growing but the byproduct (CC) is what irritates eyes and skin. pH is also a possibility so if you post some test data, it’ll help provide some guidance. The safe FC level totally depends on the current CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.