High Chlorine Readings with Digital Nano

spacerobot

Aug 1, 2019
New York State
I have a Pool Pilot Digital Nano. I have been testing my water lately and noticed the free chlorine is around 10PPM. I have tried multiple test kits and get the same result. I know very little about how this works but I know over the last couple of years since I have had it The chlorine was typically between 1-3ppm with the purifier running 50%. Looking now the purifier was at 28%. I was running the pump 24/7 but started scheduling it between 3:00PM at 12:00AM each day. The chlorine levels stayed the same. Looking at the diagnostics it always says the cell is at 17V, 5.0A. I don't remember seeing it like this over the last couple of years. When it is reading this I look at it does not say the purifier is on. So basically it doesn't look like it is changing. At this point I am not sure what I should do or check. Is the control board bad?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

SR,

It is impossible to know if your FC is high without knowing your CYA level...

I doubt anything is wrong with your SWCG as they generally get weaker at the end of their life, not stronger..

Tell us what your CYA (stabilizer) level is..

Thanks,

Jim R.

SR,

The higher the CYA, the longer it takes to burn off the FC.. At the same time the FC has to be higher to kill things...

Here is a chart that shows the proper relationship between CYA and FC.. Use the "Saltwater" table... FC/CYA Levels

If you have a saltwater pool, what is making your CYA so high? Do you routinely "shock" your pool with powered shock?? Or are you adding CYA??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SR,

The higher the CYA, the longer it takes to burn off the FC.. At the same time the FC has to be higher to kill things...

Here is a chart that shows the proper relationship between CYA and FC.. Use the "Saltwater" table... FC/CYA Levels

If you have a saltwater pool, what is making your CYA so high? Do you routinely "shock" your pool with powered shock?? Or are you adding CYA??

Thanks,

Jim R.
I haven't added stabilizer since I opened the 2nd week of May. I did have some mustard aglae a few weeks ago starting to spread. I added some shock and "yellow out" that took care of it but nothing since then.

SR,

Shock, and I suspect yellow out, both have CYA in them..

I suggest that you drain some water and get your CYA down to 70 or 80 ppm...

The reason you get algae is because an FC of 1 to 3 is just way, way too low..

You should take a good read through our pool school and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.

SR,

Shock, and I suspect yellow out, both have CYA in them..

I suggest that you drain some water and get your CYA down to 70 or 80 ppm...

The reason you get algae is because an FC of 1 to 3 is just way, way too low..

You should take a good read through our pool school and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. I was wondering if I should do that. Should I unplug the salt generator for now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.