High Chlorine Affecting Test Results

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I have a cheapo inflatable hot tub. Have been outta town and a buddy came by while I was gone to put some chlorinating liquid in.

Tested water today, and results were strange. Chlorine showed fuchsia/purple and never went clear. PH was purple and acid demand reagent changed it to blue. TA was some off color and never turned red. CYA appears to be approximately zero. Water is clear. Temp around 100F.

As I understand it, chlorine numbers being high will affect test results. HOWEVER, not too sure how to fix that right now. Just wait a while for it to drop down?

I have a pool as well. This hot tub is only a few hundred gallons so wouldn't be a big deal to drain and refill. Could even dump the water into the pool and refill with pool water which is balanced just fine. I'm mostly just curious about how one might go about actually fixing this water chemistry issue. Other than not letting my buddy dump so much chlorine in it next time :D

I have a cheapo inflatable hot tub. Have been outta town and a buddy came by while I was gone to put some chlorinating liquid in.

Tested water today, and results were strange. Chlorine showed fuchsia/purple and never went clear. PH was purple and acid demand reagent changed it to blue. TA was some off color and never turned red. CYA appears to be approximately zero. Water is clear. Temp around 100F.

As I understand it, chlorine numbers being high will affect test results. HOWEVER, not too sure how to fix that right now. Just wait a while for it to drop down?

I have a pool as well. This hot tub is only a few hundred gallons so wouldn't be a big deal to drain and refill. Could even dump the water into the pool and refill with pool water which is balanced just fine. I'm mostly just curious about how one might go about actually fixing this water chemistry issue. Other than not letting my buddy dump so much chlorine in it next time :D
Really, the only test affected is pH. Will only be accurate when FC <10. Only way to fix it is let the sun and organics bring the FC down.

You can dump to pool and refill from there...all good.

TA is also affected, but in contrast to the pH test this is quite obvious as the colours will look different to the usual green/red. This interference can be fixed with an additional drop of R-0007 at the beginning to fully remove the chlorine from the sample.

Note that this fix doesn't work for the pH test, ad the R-0007 affects the pH of the sample.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.