Hello, please see numbers below.
FC-7
CC-0
pH-7.3
TA-75
CYA-40
CH-700
Water temp. 84*F

I'm thinking it may be time for a partial water replacement due to high CH levels. My fill water has a CH level of 90 and there is no rain in the forecast (Ca drought) anytime soon to do a natural water replacement. My current CSI value is at -0.01 which is good but I have to keep my pH a little on the low side to keep this acceptable CSI value. Do you think a water replacement is in order? Pool math says to drain 57% of water to reach an ideal CH of 350.
Also is okay to use the pool pump to drain this amount of water? I would close off the skimmer. Or is it better to purchase a portable pump to save wear and tear on the pool pump? Thanks in advance for advise.
Brett

Certainly up to you, but you can manage this water to a much higher CH. With fill water of 90 ppm, it would take another 2 or 3 complete pool volume evaporation amounts to get into the area of CH it is difficult to control.

When you do plan to drain water, I suggest getting a sump pump. Harbor Freight or Amazon has them for under $100. Much safer than using your pool pump .

One thing to consider, in this area I think water rates are lower in the winter than the summer. Also, if you want to do an drainless replacement, winter is a better time because the water is colder and denser so you can extract water from the deep end and replace it at the surface. I have done a 90% replacement this way without much mixing.

Thanks for advise guys, I think I'll purchase a sump pump and wait for winter. Maybe if we get a wet winter (fingers crossed) I could use the sump pump to drain water from the deep end before or after a storm and let the rain water bring my CH number down, it's worth a try. If it's a dry winter I'll drain water from the deep end and introduce fill water at the top level of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.