High CH Re-Plastered almost 3 weeks ago

I posted this in the start-up forum but realized it may be better served here

We got our pool replastered with diamond brite almost 3 weeks ago (for the second time this summer) and my CH is through the roof at almost 1000. Is this a problem? I have read low CH is bad in plaster pools because it leaches calcium then but thing really about high CH. There is no cloudiness which I would have expected from CH so high. Also it seems like it did leach some CH because my fill water was at 300. All I have added was Tabs for chlorinating until I got to CYA of 30 then bleach, Muriatic Acid, baking soda for TA, and Jack's Magic Magenta at fill. Any input would be great. Hoping to not have to lower and refill during the 28 day curing stage

Full results after adding MA and Bleach:
FC-5
pH-7.2 (drifts up to 7.8 by the time I add more MA)
TA-80
CH-1000
CYA-30

Your CH is very high and scaling is highly probable.

It is not likely that the CH is from calcium leeching or you would have visible damage to your surface. If your fill water has CH of 300 your CSI from the start would not have been aggressive unless the TA and pH were kept extremely low for a long period.

Someone added calcium.

You should plan to drain a good portion of this water soon. Or scaling will start and could be especially problematic over the winter.

The pool company did do an acid bath to start up the pool. They poured in 5 gallons of muriatic acid and told me not to balance the TA and pH until about 48 hours in. So it sounds like that could have been what you are alluding to with low pH and TA. I will drain some tonight and refill to get it down. Right now my CSI is 0.1 but pool math days its bad over 0.6.

Since I am about 3 weeks in do you think I can lower below tile line without concerns of a bath tub ring since my pump will lower water faster than my hose will fill?

Also, do you think I can use a robot at this point yet? Or wait for the full 28 days?

A small drain as you state doing is not significant. I would not do that. The acid wash they did should not have raised your CH that much.

Most say no robot for 28 days but ask your plaster company.

You are right at pH of 7.2 your CSI is 0.1. At pH 7.8 it is ~0.6

I am more concerned for it over winter. Lets see what others have to say before you make any changes.

Thanks for the reply. That interference may be the issue. It got tough to identify the end. What did concern me though is that says 20 drops of R-0010 and 5 of R-0011L. The directions with my kit says 10 drops of R-0010 and 3 of R-0011L. Which should I follow? I assume if this solves my problem and I have a much lower CH i should add a sequestering agent to eliminate the copper/iron?

They are doing the 25 ml sample test. Use the 10 ml sample as described in your directions. The difference is adding drops of R-0012 ahead of the other reagents.

I doubt you would have copper unless you have used copper algaecide products since the plaster job. Iron is a possibility, but not likely if this is a city system. I have neither but do the process as shown on the video because of my high CH levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wipe the tip before each drop and hold the bottle vertical. Drop size matters on this test. You want a full drop that falls off the tip.

Thanks so it must have been the interference. I’m at 400. Which I know is still a little high but will that do any damage? It’s like my current additions of bleach every day and acid every other is making it csi bounce from -.19 to .4. Is such a large swing bad? Should I try to add half the ma and do it every day to stay closer to 0?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.