High CH, need advice on pool draining options.

Are you saying its far cheaper to replace water than run a softener?
In my area, absolutely. The cost of the softener and plumbing changes would pay to replace our water 10X over. Our water is cheap. I live 1/4 mile from the Colorado River. But not everything you do is based on ROI.

Keep in mind Marty's math is based on him buying a softener and using it only for his pool. Mine softens water throughout the house, too, so my math is different. I used to dislike showering with software, now I like it. The softener is likely going to save me a full round of replacements to my indoor plumbing fixtures (that could pay for the softener right there). And draining a concrete pool should be minimized for concerns about the structure of the pool and its finish. So the equation can have lots of other factors beyond cost of water... not to mention the most important one:

Keeping Marty's wife happy! Priceless... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Oscar G.
I've never done it, but I recall hearing about a service that will come to your home and run your pool water through a reverse-osmosis filter. Might be an option in AZ.

Probably pretty expensive compared to just replacing the water, but some areas might have water usage restrictions.

I've never done it, but I recall hearing about a service that will come to your home and run your pool water through a reverse-osmosis filter. Might be an option in AZ.

Probably pretty expensive compared to just replacing the water, but some areas might have water usage restrictions.
Yeah, Ill probably just replace some water but its good to know options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.