High Alkalinity normal ph VERY cloudy water

Bwilsonmom5

Mar 21, 2022
Ripon, WI
I live in Wisconsin I have a 12x24 intex agp with sand filter and swg. I lowered the pool over winter and filled it back up with hose, I have a well so I used the in line filter on the hose. I live in the country and the farmer next to me plowed up his field and it turned my pool black. I have slammed the pool, done algaecide, it is now blue but extremely cloudy, I did the muriatic acid to lower the ph. All levels look good, chlorine is good stabilizer is ideal and ph is normal but on higher end, but the alkalinity is still super high. How do I clear this cloudy water?? I have a automatic pool vac from intex that hooks up to the output not the intake so idk how to vac to waste if I use a flocc, which i really dont want to use, is there any other way to clear the cloudiness and lower alkalinity?? I mean I cant see the bottom HELP

Also, how are you testing your water? We see quite a few people coming to us when their pool store tells them their levels are "good" but they still have cloudy water/algae caused clearly by "not good" water chemistry.

Also, please dont use floc, algaecides, or any other magic potions from the pool store.

Reactions: Ashgirl4161
Have not gone to a pool store at all. Using AquaChek 4 in 1 test strips that test for FC, pH, TA and stabilizer. It is so so cloudy and just yucky looking but not green or black anymore really only been using liquid chlorine and some muriatic acid

Hey!!! Spent many summer in Oshkosh at the EAA Fly-in. Ripon is famous for its VORTAC!!!

Please don't use floc...follow the SLAM process...Link-->SLAM Process

The cloudiness will clear if you follow the process. You really need to get a good test kit, test strips will lead you astray....they are not very accurate. A test kit is the only way to accurately SLAM. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Above ground pools with sand filters just take time to clear the cloudiness. Sand filters are the slowest filter type to clear the cloudiness, and above ground sand filters are notoriously undersized, making them take even longer.

Hey!!! Spent many summer in Oshkosh at the EAA Fly-in. Ripon is famous for its VORTAC!!!

Please don't use floc...follow the SLAM process...Link-->SLAM Process

The cloudiness will clear if you follow the process. You really need to get a good test kit, test strips will lead you astray....they are not very accurate. A test kit is the only way to accurately SLAM. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Above ground pools with sand filters just take time to clear the cloudiness. Sand filters are the slowest filter type to clear the cloudiness, and above ground sand filters are notoriously undersized, making them take even longer.
Yes, we love Ripon! I did SLAM and my chlorine is high and staying high. is there anything else to clear it? I backwash multiple times a day

Ignore TA (alkalinity), it is not a factor.

Yeah, take these...its just going to take a while with a small sand filter.
full

You could also add some DE to your sand filter, that will really help. Backwash, add the DE to get 1psi rise. Then watch the pressure...when it rises 25% backwash again and add DE...this can accelerate the clearing...

How are you testing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Using AquaChek 4 in 1 test strips that test for FC, pH, TA and stabilizer.
But there's the problem. Your testing results will not be accurate with these. There is no way to accurately perform a SLAM Process with test strips. Everything you are trying to do right now is basically guesswork based off of those results. It will be very frustrating for you. :brickwall:

Reactions: Donldson
Ignore TA (alkalinity), it is not a factor.

Yeah, take these...its just going to take a while with a small sand filter.
full

You could also add some DE to your sand filter, that will really help. Backwash, add the DE to get 1psi rise. Then watch the pressure...when it rises 25% backwash again and add DE...this can accelerate the clearing...

How are you testing?
Ok I just picked up DE filter aid from ACE. how do I add this? How much? how long does it take before safe to swim or to clear up

Did you ever get a good test kit that can accurately test your chlorine level? Chlorine is what kills the algae and the SLAM process calls for precise chlorine levels.

The link on post #9 has the link on how to add DE to your filter, but I'm not convinced you are ready for that. There is no sense in filtering out algae that is just going to continue to multiply. You need the algae dead first.

Reactions: Bwilsonmom5
Did you ever get a good test kit that can accurately test your chlorine level? Chlorine is what kills the algae and the SLAM process calls for precise chlorine levels.

The link on post #9 has the link on how to add DE to your filter, but I'm not convinced you are ready for that. There is no sense in filtering out algae that is just going to continue to multiply. You need the algae dead first.
I have high chlorine, scored 11 , took to pool store and got print out, no i didnt buy anything lol

I have high chlorine, scored 11 , took to pool store and got print out, no i didnt buy anything lol
Does "scored 11" mean your FC is 11? Depending on your CYA level, Free Chlorine of 11 could still be too low to fully kill the algae hence the need for accurate testing. Can you at least give us your full test results or share your Pool Math logs?

I understand your frustration, but blindly adding chemicals is adding to your frustration. We can guide you through this, but need all of the info.

Does "scored 11" mean your FC is 11? Depending on your CYA level, Free Chlorine of 11 could still be too low to fully kill the algae hence the need for accurate testing. Can you at least give us your full test results or share your Pool Math logs?

I understand your frustration, but blindly adding chemicals is adding to your frustration. We can guide you through this, but need all of the info.
PH: 7.6
Free Chorine: 11
CYA: 24
Total Chlorine: 11.9
Alkalinity:184 but i did add muriatic acid and that lowered just havent gone back to test water at store

Ok, the main focus should be on your FC, ignore pH and Total Alkalinity for now. If we are to trust the pool store testing (which we typically don't) round up your CYA to 30 and try to keep your FC at 12 as best you can with the limited testing.

The limited testing is also going to be a hindrance to know when to stop the SLAM, especially doing the overnight test.

Your CC of .9 indicates the chlorine is still fighting algae so you are still a few days away from being done. In the meantime keep up the chlorine, backwash your filter when it needs it, and consider ordering a good test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.