High alkalinity low ph

AZ-83

Jul 7, 2015
Waddell
Hello all. Been a while since I had this issue (actually helping out a buddy). High alkalinity (130) and lowish ph 7.3. Concerned that adding acid will kick ph too low. Can you guys give me a refresher? Thanks in advance.

If your friend really needs to lower the pH, then you'll have to aerate to get the pH up first. But with a TA of 130, I would expect the pH to rise rather quickly on its own. If the pH isn't rising quickly, I would be patient and not force anything. Just wait until the pH climbs (eventually it will) then hit the pH once it gets to about 8.0 with enough acid to bring it down to about 7.2.

Reactions: HermanTX
Do you happen to know how quickly aeration impact the ph levels? You think a few days? Its been steady at 7.3 the last couple days. As far as aeration goes, he has a couple of deck jets and a waterfall. Just turn those on while the pump is running to increase ph you think? Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the feedback.

Hello all. Been a while since I had this issue (actually helping out a buddy). High alkalinity (130) and lowish ph 7.3. Concerned that adding acid will kick ph too low. Can you guys give me a refresher? Thanks in advance.
I dont see the need to adjust either of those numbers. Why not leave it as is?

I agree. If the PH stays steady I wouldn’t worry about it. If the PH rises with the high TA (as it should) adding acid to bring the PH down will eventually lower your TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.