bevcardinal

Jul 21, 2020
FTW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My alkalinity was 80-90 and fairly stable until July. I add at least 5c of MA weekly, my ph is usually 78-80before adding. Then in July due to the fact of adding 12-16c of chlorine daily with still low FC the next evening, I decided to add a bag of Power Powder plus, which took days to dissolve. Now my alkalinity is 120-140 even though I have been adding 7-10c acid every other day or so. I also have added stabilizer due to my CYA being at 25. It was 40 at the beginning of July. I also noticed my calcium level went from 350 to 275. I rarely check this since it's almost always in range, so I'm not sure how long its been this level, oops.

So now I'm wondering:
-Do I need to keep working on lowering my alkalinity, or just keep my ph to 78-80? Should I even check my alkalinity? Will this affect how much chlorine I'm using?
-Why am I using so much chlorine? I did do an OFCL no loss. I do have a few old bottles of chlorine I'm using up, but I have always used 8-16c a day in the summer months...
-Do I need to raise my calcium to 350? Will this affect other levels?

My pool is always sparkly clear and never any algae since starting TFP method. I use to have algae weekly...

FC: 3.5
CC: 0
PH: 78
ALK: 130
CYA: 40 (maybe have to recheck this after adding stabilizer)
CAL: 275
18800 gal, chlorine
Pool is in full sun all day long, rarely used unless the Gkids are here every other week or so. But do have a globe willow tree that drops leaves in it daily...

Thanks for any help you can give me!

If your pH is remaining in that 7.7-7.8 range, there's no immediate need to focus on the TA. It should slowly fall over time, however remember water top-offs can push the TA up again. Do you have an autofill by chance? I'm a little concerned about some of your levels dropping unexpectedly and just want to make sure there is no water loss issue.

But your numbers above are good. Do be sure to keep the FC slightly higher and always in the ideal target range as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You're doing something right if you've avoided algae for a while. Keep it up. Enjoy another hot weekend. :swim:

Reactions: bevcardinal
Calcium level of 250 ok then?
Sure. It is on the lower end, but still okay, especially since your TA is above 120 and your pH is in the upper 7 range. Normally CH doesn't fall, so like I noted above that's one to watch. I hope you aren't losing water somewhere. If you wish to increase the CH to 300 or 350 to be safe, that's fine too. It's just that usually people have fairly hard water and it increases as opposed to falling.

Thanks for the info. We are on well water with our CAL @ 75 and AlK is 320, so refill could be contributing. I just don't think that much could be lost with evaporation, but I haven't checked the CAL in a long while. The spring rains could have lowered it some and the Power Powder plus could have affected my alkalinity. I will do a bucket test just to be sure. Do you know if adding Calcium will affect ph or alk? Thanks again for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.