Hi I just joined TFP to get some advice. I like to try and fix my own stuff before I call service.

JohnInHouston

May 27, 2019
houston
I have a Pentair system that is losing prime and getting a lot of air in pump basket. I replaced the pump basket o-ring. Then replaced the 3 inch and 1 inch o-rings on the valve. The air disappeared and the pool clearer came back to life. Then on the next cycle the air was back. I replaced the 1 inch o-ring again and worked great for one cycle only. Now pool won't prime. Should I replace the valve, it has a actuator.
I have had the pool turned off for awhile and I notice the spa water level has dropped. Maybe that has nothing to do with my air in system problem?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP John.

Are you using Pool Lube on the O rings?

One thing to check. Just make sure that you are not loosing prime from the skimmer. Sometimes if you are on 100% skimmer with a strong pump, you create a vortex of air that will introduce air in the skimmer. This is especially prevalent if the water level gets low. If this is occurring, adjust suction to more main drain and less skimmer, or increase water level.

Reactions: BowserB
I was chasing air bubbles in my supply lines too. Pretty much did everything you have done including using up a small tube of lube. While I reduced things it was far from solved. Then out of desperation I inspected my Jandy valves. They were fine but noticed some of the screws were not real tight. So, when I reinstalled the screws I hand tightened them down solid and consistent. 99% of my bubbles disappeared. I also use a Skim Dr. on my skimmer and noticed that then the water level is low or the gates are creating a deep vortex it introduces air into the system, so I try to keep the level up to create a slight gurgling or faint babbling brook sound.

I was chasing air bubbles in my supply lines too. Pretty much did everything you have done including using up a small tube of lube. While I reduced things it was far from solved. Then out of desperation I inspected my Jandy valves. They were fine but noticed some of the screws were not real tight. So, when I reinstalled the screws I hand tightened them down solid and consistent. 99% of my bubbles disappeared. I also use a Skim Dr. on my skimmer and noticed that then the water level is low or the gates are creating a deep vortex it introduces air into the system, so I try to keep the level up to create a slight gurgling or faint babbling brook sound.
The first time I changed the o-ring I used a drill but the second I switch to a screw driver to avoid stripping the screws. I think I got it pretty tight. I don't see a vortex at skimmers.

Same problem here on my Jandy system. Gonna raise my water level a tad and see if it helps. Works fine and get good pressure/no air bubbles in spa mode but pool mode is really weak flow. Plus get a lot of air bubbles out of my return nozzles. Thanks for the tips and the post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.