Hi from sunny Sydney

Dec 23, 2017
New South Wales
Hi.

I've been lurking around TFP for a few months as for the last two years maintaining my pool was torture. Clear then cloudy, then clear then green. Chlorine up, chlorine down. pH up, pH down. Always green the night before a kids party - like it knew! Have been following the TFP rules and happy to say that 3 months into this season and nothing but crystal clear 'blue' water. Learning and understanding the need for CYA and the correct level was the important step. The CYA/FC chart is genius. The pool calculator is easy and pretty much spot on. A big thanks to everyone who generously gives their time to educate people like me.

But I need some advice, please. I run the pool pump at only 1700 rpm (max 2850) but run it continuously. Seems less stressful on the whole system and keeps and the water moving. Obviously, it is at a lower pressure (reads 5 psi at 1700rpm and 11-12 psi at 2850rpm) and uses far less power. But the pump pot seems to collect air. If I backwash it disappears quickly and then reappears over a few days. The pipes in the system are very long from the pump to the pool; they go up and down and have lots of bends. Nature of the garden. Nothing I can do about it. I think the lower flow/pressure state means that there is quite a bit of air in the pipes, especially the bends above the pump level, that doesn't get completely purged and then ends up recollecting in the pot. It's not much but the water in the pot looks like fast bubbling soup - if you know what I mean. I really don't think there is an air leak in the system on the suction side but maybe there is.

Is there a good way to purge all the air from the system completely. Then if it reappears I know there must be a leak somewhere. It is a sand filter with a handle at the top that goes to various positions ie backwash, rinse etc. There is no air release valve on the filter.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: What you are describing with your VSP strainer pot is quite common. Many VSP owners do just what you are and program their pump to kick on high at a certain each day just to push that small amount of air out of the pot. VSPs are good at what they do, but at the low rpm they can generate those air pockets from low churning or perhaps outgassing and there simply isn't enough pressure to move them forward. I think you're okay as long as the water level in the pot doesn't drop drastically or you lose prime. Just bump it up once a day or so and you should be fine. If you do a search on the site, you'll see many other such threads about the same issue.

Glad TFP is working well for you. Enjoy the season. :swim:

z,

Welcome to TFP.. A great resource for all pool owners.. even those with "physic" pools that know the future... :shark:

What Pat says above is spot on... Like you, I run my pump 24/7 and most of the time at 1200 rpm.. I do get some bubbles under the strainer basket lid at that speed, but they have yet to cause any issues.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe

Interesting to hear you run at 1200 rpm. I'm worried that at that rate it won't turn over the water enough or have a flow rate fast enough to keep the heat pump happy. Your pool is about 70% bigger than mine so should be ok for me. Is there any way to determine flow rate at a given rpm? I know flow varies with the number of bends in the pipes so I run at 1700 just to be sure.

Thanks.

z,

Having to have X turnovers a day is an old wives tale and just not required. I have no idea how many gallons per hour my pump is running and it makes zero difference to me.

The key to pump speed is having enough to satisfy the requirement of your specific pool.

I run my pool at 1200 rpm, because it takes 1100 to close the flow switch on my SWCG and I just added 100 rpm to be on the safe side. I do not have a heater, but if I did, I'd adjust the pump so that heater's flow/pressure switch is closed and then add 100 rpm to the that number, etc.

The great thing about VS pumps is that you can adjust the speed to fit the situation.. For example.. When I want my waterfall to come on, I have to ramp up the pump's speed to 2800 to make the waterfall look the way I want.

Not that is matters, but your pool is about 10,500 US gallons and mine is 17,000 US gallons, so I think, closer in size than you thought..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.