Hi from Ottawa

Amine

Sep 2, 2019
Ottawa
I am a new pool owner, I want to learn how to maintain pool, the opening and closing procedures during spring and fall.
Now I am facing ammonia issue, I have poured a lot of chlorine, but still the pool looks milky. The Cyanuric Acid is ZERO.
I was told to add more chlorine, which I did. I wonder how long it will take to get the pool back to normal condition.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If that is ammonia, it takes a good amount of chlorine applied "consistently" and frequently to break that ammonia barrier. Do you have a TF-100, Taylor K-2006C, or suitable test kit? That will be key to accurately testing FC at levels of 10 ppm or higher.

To break ammonia, we do the following: Increase FC level to 10 ppm and do not add any stabilizer yet. Test the FC in 10 minutes. If it fell below 5 ppm, add more chlorine right away and get the FC back to 10. Continue this 10-min cycle until the FC holds at 5 or above - the higher the better. Once the FC starts to hold, add stabilizer for as CYA goal of 30 and increase the FC to "12". Now you can continue the SLAM Process.

In some cases, it helps to exchange some water first, but we need to know more about your situation. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.