Hi from a noob in over her head

Jul 13, 2017
MA
Hi all,

My husband and I just closed on a bank owned home in Mass. We knew there was a gunite pool and that it had been neglected. It had a loop lock cover that had several large holes. We decided to give it a shot an open it up this summer since we needed to take off the cover and replace it anyway.

Turns out it's a gigantic, 10.5 ft deep, 36k gallon gunite monster. And it had not been touched in FIVE YEARS.

Two weeks later we are feeling a little frustrated. A family friend came over and helped us open it and get the filter and pump started. Everything was going well until we vacuumed the bottom. The water got hazy and hasn't gone back to clear. Now it's rained buckets the last 3 days.

I am keeping up with the chlorine sticks, backwashing the filter every few days, and shocked this evening after all the rain.

I'm 10 minutes away from saying screw it and ordering the new cover so we can deal with it next summer.

Really hopeful you guys will be able to help!

Welcome to TFP! pooldv is one of the best people to have in your thread! Lucky! If you want crystal clear, trouble free water, order either the TF-100 WITH $15 XL option in your case is really best (that humble website pooldv linked to is where I buy too, and will keep buying from forever) or the K2006C test kit available elsewhere will also do just fine, but isn't as perfect for your SWAMP, in my opinion, and I own/use both at two different pools.

They usually ship same day, so if you order, it will be en-route while we get you started on the stuff you can do without a kit, and get you learning the lingo of TFP care.

SO, order a kit please. I'll wait .... Great job! Now, let's do some damage control until the kit arrives and we can go to war!

Don't add any more sticks until we test to see if they are helping or hurting in your exact situation. I could explain the chemistry if you wish, or you can trust me, I'm happy either way. Let me know.

So here is where you have a choice to make:

We can suggest some chemical additions that *could* do some damage control on your algae infestation. I say could because without knowing all your test results, we can't say scientifically how efficient a use of your money it would be. Nonetheless, if you wish to do something while you wait for the test kit, slowly pour these in front of the return (water comes back into pool) while the pump is running and will run for at least another 30 mins:

Day 1: 3 jugs of 8.25% bleach, non-scented, not splashless, fresh date (in last 60 days ideally, up to 90 okay), generic brand okay as long as it says 8.25% *if you have Meynards where you live they have a sale on either 8.25 or 10% right now, either is fine)

Day 2 and once a day until the kit arrives: 1-1.5 jugs

There is math behind these suggestions, which I can explain if you wish, happy to, just don't want to overload you at once. These may or may not result in visible progress, but that is not their primary goal. Once again, because we don't know what your test results are, these could be a waste, or, they could help to make your future much easier. It's a gamble. Either way, it will not make or break you pool, it is just if you are the kind of person who would rather do something than nothing, there ya go.

There are actually two other things you can do while waiting for that test kit to arrive.
Get yourself a good pool leaf rake and pole and get everthing you can out of the bottom of that pool. If you don't know what a leaf rake is it looks like this:

View attachment 65845

Secondly, start studying Pool School (button at top right of this page). It is full of valuable information that will better prepare you for what is to come. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first but with time and study it all starts to come together and make sense.

Thanks guys - it's reassuring to see we have done the right things so far - we ordered the test kit last night after stumbling on this forum, and we did already get the leaf rake to take out all the big debris. We actually had the water totally clear for a couple of days until we started vacuuming the chlorine-zapped white powdered debris from the floor.

Here are a couple of pictures to give you guys a better idea of what I'm dealing with. My fear is that the filter is shot, which will probably be a season ended for us as we had to spend a lot of money already to get this house livable.

2by1pk.jpg

34fntb4.jpg

Thanks again!

@woody - it's the original set up (around 20 years old) and the guy we had come out to help said it's a dinosaur. It is a STA-Rite earth filter and we did have the filter screens cleaned professionally.

At the moment we have ZERO info on the specs, only guesses. But I did find an old folder in the basement from the pool company that may have put it in, so I called them to see if they can give us the info. Waiting to hear back.

@woody - it's the original set up (around 20 years old) and the guy we had come out to help said it's a dinosaur. It is a STA-Rite earth filter and we did have the filter screens cleaned professionally.

At the moment we have ZERO info on the specs, only guesses. But I did find an old folder in the basement from the pool company that may have put it in, so I called them to see if they can give us the info. Waiting to hear back.
Put up a few pictures of it. There's lots of folks here working with old equipment that can help you identify and get it in order

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should check your filter pressure after a backwash and backwash again when it rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

So if your clean pressure is 16, you'd backwash at 20.

Or if you notice the water flow is reduced.

Edit: Also, if your pressure is rising, id say it must be working at least somewhat.

That pool actually looks pretty close to great! Next time you add DE, have someone watch the returns where the water comes back in and see if you see it shooting back out into the pool. It shouldn't be, but is good to double check. You should just see a jet of water.

You're doing great! No need to fear the worst with that setup as it seems to be working. The DE grids inside could need replacement if you see DE shooting back out into the pool, but as long as you don't see cracks on the outside housing, it appears that you will not have to replace that! If you don't see DE shooting back into the pool, indications would be that your setup is working and we just have to get and keep the water chemistry right and keep filtering until crystal clear!

Thank you @chiefwej, this is super helpful!

I brought a water sample to a local pool store for analysis and they said the iron count was high and the pH was a little high. They suggested the liquid magnet tonight and Lo n Slow tomorrow night, along with maintaining our current chlorine level.

I think it looks a little better today but that may be because we powerwashed the patio around it.

2lav42x.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support