Hi All, new to the Chattanooga area!

Dabruski

Dec 30, 2021
Chattanooga
Hope everyone is having a great end to this crazy year and ready to bring the new year in!

I hopped on this forum because I am about to be the proud new owner of a home in the Chattanooga area that has what to me seems like a enormous pool. I know it is going to be a lot of work but can't wait to get started!

I grew up with a 10K gallon circle pool which is still at my moms house. We've had that pool for over 15 years, replaced the pumps and liner and added an 80 sq ft solar heater to it that when it is not leaking is a dream. Unfortunately the solar heater quality has gone way down in the last few years (at least the cheap amazon ones that I have bought).

I am by no means an expert at water or pool care but I love to dabble.

Now onto the new pool, I will know more details once we close on the home and I get more information from the pool company that is currently maintaining it for the old owner. I estimate it at 50K-60K gallons, concrete, in a custom kidney shape (inground), sand filter, chlorinated, with a newly replaced pump.

My biggest questions right now are:
1. What would be the first things I should look at to make sure the pool is in tip top shape?
2. Is there anyone on here that is in southern TN or northern GA that runs a pool of this size all year or am I too far north?

Hope everyone has a happy New Year!

Regards,

Chris

Hope everyone is having a great end to this crazy year and ready to bring the new year in!

I hopped on this forum because I am about to be the proud new owner of a home in the Chattanooga area that has what to me seems like a enormous pool. I know it is going to be a lot of work but can't wait to get started!

I grew up with a 10K gallon circle pool which is still at my moms house. We've had that pool for over 15 years, replaced the pumps and liner and added an 80 sq ft solar heater to it that when it is not leaking is a dream. Unfortunately the solar heater quality has gone way down in the last few years (at least the cheap amazon ones that I have bought).

I am by no means an expert at water or pool care but I love to dabble.

Now onto the new pool, I will know more details once we close on the home and I get more information from the pool company that is currently maintaining it for the old owner. I estimate it at 50K-60K gallons, concrete, in a custom kidney shape (inground), sand filter, chlorinated, with a newly replaced pump.

My biggest questions right now are:
1. What would be the first things I should look at to make sure the pool is in tip top shape?
2. Is there anyone on here that is in southern TN or northern GA that runs a pool of this size all year or am I too far north?

Hope everyone has a happy New Year!

Regards,

Chris
Welcome. A 60k gallon pool is huge and so I’d want to make sure it’s really that large. 40k is on the large side so 60k would be pretty large. I think we could probably run all year up this way as it never stays below freezing for more than a day or two. This year especially.

Reactions: Dabruski
Welcome. A 60k gallon pool is huge and so I’d want to make sure it’s really that large. 40k is on the large side so 60k would be pretty large. I think we could probably run all year up this way as it never stays below freezing for more than a day or two. This year especially.
That is what I thought, I was looking at historic temps for 2021, 2020 and 2019 and did not see more than 2 or 3 nights in a row under freezing.

I used google to get 1400ish SQ FT. I was told the deep end goes down 10-12 feet (where the water is in the photo) and the rest is 3-4 so I did 1400x5.5x7.5 to get that estimate... hoping it ends up being less (water was still in it when I visited).

Attachments

• pool small.PNG
    pool small.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
That is what I thought, I was looking at historic temps for 2021, 2020 and 2019 and did not see more than 2 or 3 nights in a row under freezing.

I used google to get 1400ish SQ FT. I was told the deep end goes down 10-12 feet (where the water is in the photo) and the rest is 3-4 so I did 1400x5.5x7.5 to get that estimate... hoping it ends up being less (water was still in it when I visited).
Is the little amoeba shaped thing on the right a sun shelf? If so it may only be 12” deep. Assumed it was a spa at first but it looks like it’s connected to the pool without a spillover wall between them?

If you do keep it open, make sure there’s freeze protection setup for it and you know how to drain all the equipment quickly. The two previous years here were exceptionally cold. The only thing I’m sure of about the weather this way is that it always changes and so don’t assume anything.

Is the little amoeba shaped thing on the right a sun shelf? If so it may only be 12” deep. Assumed it was a spa at first but it looks like it’s connected to the pool without a spillover wall between them?

If you do keep it open, make sure there’s freeze protection setup for it and you know how to drain all the equipment quickly. The two previous years here were exceptionally cold. The only thing I’m sure of about the weather this way is that it always changes and so don’t assume anything.
It has a sun/sitting shelf in it (12ish inches) but the space is fairly large. It is connected without a spill over, was disappointed about it not being separated. Might be a future project...

The equipment is inside a pool room that can be heated and all the pipes go into the ground inside the room so I assume the pipes should be pretty safe unless there is a deep freeze.

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!