Hey, look! A pool came with this house!

If you are in a SLAM - no real need to test for CC. Only when you reach the conclusion of the SLAM is it useful as a criteria to indicate you are done.

Take care.

Yep there is a suggestion of a 3rd step down there. Got A 10lb bag of DE from the pool and spa store in the back of my car, gonna put some in after work today, 1/4 cup at a time mixed with water and poured in slow into the skimmer and watching the pressure gauge. (Guess it's a good thing I ordered a new pressure gauge on Amazon last week. The old one that was on there had no housing on it, just a white curled up dial face and a bent loose needle). ONE PSI! The end is in sight. Thanks!

Of interest. I googled hayward E-100 and it said in one place that this filter/pump is for pools smaller than mine, like 15 x 24 , and for a 15 x 30 AG, the hayward E-200 is recommended, which has twice the flow rate and water turnover per hour, uses a 1.5HP pump, not a 1.0HP, and 200lbs of sand, not 100. So it appears that maybe the pool was set up by the original owner with a pump/filter that is a little on the small side for some reason. I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to replace the e-100 rig here with a new E-200 filter/1.5HP pump (about $600). I guess if everything works ok, there is no reason. Opinion?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it will be interesting to see how the filter handles your almost perfectly "balanced" pool. Might be that a smaller filter handles the clean water effectively, with maybe just an extra backwash here or there. I don't recall your normal running pressure, but the increased surface area of the larger filter should decrease resistance and pressure. But that is all moot as long it keeps your balanced pool sparkly.

Others have probably mentioned it, but stay close when using DE as the pressure can rise very quickly. Backwash, rinse and repeat for the quickest clear up.

Have a too small filter just means more cleaning of said filter. With it being a sand filter that is not as big a deal as the sand filters are very easy to clean (backwash, rinse, done!).

It is up to you but I would rather go on a nice weekend get away with that money LOL

Kim:kim:

Turnover rate and all that isn't important. All that matters in pump size is: does it run any extras you have (fountains, solar panels, etc) and does it move enough water through the filter to keep it clean, which you you don't know until you've been using your pool awhile.

As for the filter, it just might need slightly more frequent back wash.

I'll stick with the present filter/pump. I put 1/4cup DE in last night and pressure went from 16 to 17 so I quit. That was 7 pm. Mowed some, did dinner, got tired. Did the pool math and dumped in one 121 oz bottle of bleach, noted the pump/filter was running at 18, and went to bed. This morning the FC is 20 right where it should have been last night with that bleach but I didn't check it last night but it probably was (but who knows? I should have checked it, but no big deal, slam not done - water not clear). This morning the pressure gauge was reading 20 and I noticed there was not the usual flow pattern on the pool surface in front of the return, then that there was no swirl in the skimmer, stuck my hand down in front of the return and flow was very slow. So I backwashed and flow is immediately back up and pump/filter is running at 16 again. I assume from this that I backwashed out some crud and most of the DE. I would think the next thing to do might be to put in a little less than 1/4 cup and run again for a while since the water is not clear yet. But I have learned it is best to post here before going with what I think! What do you think?

Your thinking is correct! You did the correct thing with the backwash. That DE did a just want we wanted it to do-catch lots of stuff! Add a little less and see what happens. Take and share a pic today when you get home. I am interested in seeing the progress.

Yeah no need to do any overnight tests yet. That will be coming soon I hope!

Kim:kim:

new DE ran about 24 hrs, got up to 18 psi and held there, backflushed it this morning and didn't add more, did pool math last night to bring chlorine from 12 to 20 and this morning it was 25! Still pretty cloudy but a little better, gonna be a long haul, will continue, but wondering if I could let chlorine drift down to 7-9 and use the pool for a few days, daughter and 2 grandkids coming to visit and they would like to swim most likely (Monday through Wednesday). What's the down side of doing that in the middle of a SLAM when you're well on the way and all the numbers are good for FC, TC, TA, CYA, pH, all the big stuff is clear and you just have a bit of white cloud going on?
Here's a pic of the water I took last night at 7:45pm....
IMG_4605.jpg

It is safe to swim if:
Your FC level is at shock or below.
Your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8.
AND you can see the bottom of the pool.

Your shock level is 20. So if your pool is looking clear enough to see the bottom, id just keep it right at 20 ppm then at swim time uncover the pool and let it sit in the Sun to drop below 20 so you don't lose any progress. If you stay on the slam and adding de this weekend, there's a good chance it will be clear enough to see the bottom soon enough. You almost can now.

Even if it's a little cloudy, it's still probably safer than a lake or most public pools. Just maybe they don't dive under water is all

I guess I should get a cover. What! Yep, no cover and that's how I got in this mess. Never occured to me I might need one before fall shut down. But yesterday a storm came through. A big wind was the first thing, and instantly the whole pool was covered with pine needles! Got the leaf skimmer on the pole and skimmed for 30 min, bailing more out of the pool skimmer. Got the leaf sucker hooked up out there now. Used it for the first time yesterday and was amazed at how much organic was still in the pool without my knowledge. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why my water hasn't cleared yet.
This AM 7AM
FC 18
TA 170
CYA 40
CH 225
pH 7.7
With regard to the pH, I have some Lowes Hardware "pH Down" dry product and I want to know from you if it's ok to use. It is sodium bisulfite 93.2% granules. I know I see a lot of mention of muriatic acid and I will get some if need be, but I already have this other stuff, from the dark ages a month ago when I first bought my first pool chemicals ever and was even more ignorant than I am now about pool care. Thanks everybody and especially all the help from Kimkats!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support