Hey...I'm new here. And losing my mind over my green pool haha!

Hello everyone! I stumbled across this AMAZING site after googling things like "why is my pool green", "can I use household bleach in my pool", "I'm about to set my pool on fire", things like that.

I bought my first "big" pool the first week of May. Its an above ground, steel frame, vinyl pool. 17 feet wide by 52" deep. Around 6400 gallons. I live in drought stricken Central California (temps get to 115), and this is the first time we've had a pool of this size due to cutting back on water usage. Well since we went from no rain, to drowning in it this year, I decided screw this I'm getting a pool. Now I'm trying to maintain it.

Everything was going great until about last week. We had been keeping chlorine tablets in a tablet dispenser, and doing weekly shocks. And then it started to get cloudy. Thus began my research. Apparently, I was supposed to be testing it and maintaining all kinds of stuff like Ph, Akalinity, Free Chlorine, blah blah blah. I had no idea so much went into it lmao! I bought the Clorox test kit and got the app. That helped a lot. Things were looking up. And then 6 of my 32 nieces and nephews came over to swim, along with my 3 kids and their dad. The next day my pool was GREEN. I'm not a total noob...I know its algae. My husband shocked it yesterday morning, and its still green. I tested it earlier today and the free chlorine was at 0. So I put some of that in there. I brushed the sides and the bottom. I was about to pour all my household bleach in there but decided umm yeah maybe I should figure out what I'm doing before I start throwing a bunch of stuff in there. So here I am!! I checked out that SLAM video and that was awesome. So I'm about to go back out there and see what I can do.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to have a sparkling pool before our temps get outrageous. When you live in Satan's Armpit, a pool is a must.

HI and :hug: you are here now and it WILL get better! Your pool will be awesome and fun when we get done teaching you how to take care of it!

I am going to have you start a thread here: Just Getting Started

See the "post new thread". Start one there or I can move this one for you.

I will tell you that you need to get a test kit if you going to do this on your own. I know a pool store will test for free BUT is it really free when you walk out with $$$ worth of stuff? NOPE!

How much does your water cost you? There is a reason I am asking.

I am going to give you some light reading then some deep reading later: TFPC for Beginners The first post really tells you most of what you need to know for right now.

Kim:kim:

I have a test kit. That's why I'm frustrated lol...I don't know the actual breakdown of the cost of my water, but I pay $86 a month for water and garbage. I already checked out the pool school, but I'll check out the other links you provided as well. Thanks a bunch. I feel like I have some support now haha

I have a test kit. That's why I'm frustrated lol...I don't know the actual breakdown of the cost of my water, but I pay $86 a month for water and garbage. I already checked out the pool school, but I'll check out the other links you provided as well. Thanks a bunch. I feel like I have some support now haha

Welcome to TFP :)

As Kim said take a look at the article about test kits compared. Most retail test kits don't have everything you'll need for proper maintenance. Make sure you have a CYA test (not test strips) and a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

The reason I asked how much your water costs is that it might be worth it drain and refill most of your water (NOT all). If that is something you might be intrested in after checking to see how much it would cost you let me know and we will work through it.

GOOD on having a test kit. Which one is it?

Kim:kim: