Helping out an Older Father-In-Law

Isaac-1 said:
My suggestion for the DE trick overnight, is then you would not be loosing circulation if it did clog up, like you would if you were to do the DE trick during the day when you need circulation the most.

Thanks Ike, that is a thought...I am gonna give it until this weekend. If after that I will backwash, then do the De trick to see if that helps.

I just got back from a vaccuuming and round of tests...my CC seems to change frequently...I added a bit much Bleach at my 4 pm visit, and tonites FC was 15.5, CC was 1.5, so I didnt add any bleach

I am gonna take it as there is still junk in there that the bleach is attacking...its just strange that depending on the time of day, my CC can be anywhere from .5 to 2.0

Added some CA last night to get my CYA to 30 ish, just registered about 25, but ill give it a week to fully dissolve.

TA was 80.
CH in the mid 600's

Thanks...

OK....This morning my FC 15
CC .5

So I lost no FC, and CC is low, but pool still a murky mess. I am still doing the slam, but can only check levels 2 times a day, as life calls.

I still think this Sustain Summer Shield is screwing with me. My FIL put it in the pool Mid May, so I am stuck with it till at least next season, as he is not on board for a water change.

Is it OK to do the SLAM and only be able to check pool 2 times a day during this? I have noticed that the largest drop in FC is from 12PM to 430PM....and When I was checking 4times a day, there was less than a 1.5 Change during all other times. I have been keeping my FC a touch higher than recommended with a CYA of 30... I been letting go as high as 15...

I have expressed my concern about the Sustain Summer Shield that gets added during startup....my concern is that if it has an effect similar to CYA, the reason that my cloudy water isn't clearing is because I need to run FC as high as 35. Any thoughts?!

I believe my CC are correct, some other threads have stated CC may be masked by Sustain Summer Shield, but there is NO smell to the pool....no "chloriny" smell....

I keep waiting for that morning that I open that gate to see a clearing pool.....this deamon has looked the same since about 11 am Saturday.....

Thanks, I look forward to reading some replies....

Regards,

Dave

You don't tell us if you are backwashing at the correct time or that you are brushing every day or so. Are you?

A pic would be very helpful.

You are doing a VERY nice job keeping your FC at the SLAM level.......that's what many newbies overlook.

duraleigh said:
You don't tell us if you are backwashing at the correct time or that you are brushing every day or so. Are you?

A pic would be very helpful.

You are doing a VERY nice job keeping your FC at the SLAM level.......that's what many newbies overlook.

I have been brushing daily, and vaccuumed last night....Its hard to vaccuum because I can only see about 18 inches into the pool....but I did my best to get the whole floor....I havent backwashed since Monday evening...no increase in filter pressure....I also added some more CYA to a sock, so I didnt want to backwash too soon after adding it....trying to get CYA to approx. 30-40 range, as indicated in Pool school....

I will try to snap a picture tomorrow and post here....

Is it OK that I can only make it twice a day during my SLAM....

Did you see Chem geek's reply in the other thread about summer shield stuff? Basically, he said it acts like CYA, but doesn't show up on the test. So to me, it sounds like since you have CYA and summer shield, it is like having a higher CYA level than you think.

JohnN said:
Did you see Chem geek's reply in the other thread about summer shield stuff? Basically, he said it acts like CYA, but doesn't show up on the test. So to me, it sounds like since you have CYA and summer shield, it is like having a higher CYA level than you think.

Yes, Thanks, I did see his reply.... I'm scared because that guy really know his stuff... I guess I am basically flying blind.

I talked with my FIL, and told him what some experts thought....He doesn't want to drain pool, so it looks like we have a third late summer with cloudy water.

Just know you will have it under control once you get everything balanced, it may take a little time with the high CH, but you can slowly get there through stages of water replacement. Remember vacuum to waste is your friend in the process of trying to sneak in fresh water since evaporation replacement just keeps CH at the same level.

Ike

Do you lower the water level when you close in the winter? If you do, at least that will get rid of some of the stuff. Anyway, good luck and I hope you can get this pool straight. I just looked at the MSDS for it, and it is 80-85% saltwater and 15-20% "proprietary." So like I said, good luck and hope your pool at least gets to be swimmable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
help-switching-from-sustain-system-to-bbb-t65635.html

To continue with my pool issues, The above link will show some of chemgeeks work....

Still working on this SLAM with bad results. I dont blame TFP at all. This is unchartered waters...It seems as though SummerShield and CYA work similarly....So Instead of using the CYA/Chlorine chart, I am basically flying blind as to my chlorine dosage....

I have been checking the pool 3 times a day during the SLAM, still cloudy, lousy looking. Always keeping FC at the 25 CYA shock level of 12 during the SLAM....I check today at 4 pm, I grab the brush to start brushing as I have done every day...lo and behold Algae has grown on the walls....Checked the FC and it was 7...It was the first time since Saturday that the FC has been below 12, as I just dont have the time during my workday to visit anymore than that....When I left this AM, It was at 15.5. I realize my CYA is a little low, as I put it in Early in the week, still seeing it climb slowly thru the week.

Bottom line is Chemgeek said because of how both Summershield and CYA act, I may have to up the dosage of FC...(paraphrasing). So tonite I upped the FC to 20....This is just me thinking that since my CYA is 25, and the SummerShield acts like a CYA of 50(no scientific base, just a guess/starting point)...then a FC of approx 20 is needed for Shock level if I combine both numbers....siding on the lower end...Who knows how high a FC I will need to complete the SLAM, but I am not giving up just yet. I vaccuumed while I was there....So I will keep you informed...

I welcome your comments....

Man this is a bit of a tuff one, but you will make it. Since he won't drain, I would do extra, extra long backwashes to get some new water in there. :mrgreen: Every little bit will help. Yes, it will take more chlorine, but that is my line of thinking.

Brushpup said:
Since he won't drain, I would do extra, extra long backwashes to get some new water in there. :mrgreen: Every little bit will help..

Me thinks just like you thinks

Happy to report this morning my FC 21.5, last night just before dark FC was 25.0....pool was still cloudy, but cloudy white, NO GREEN TINT.

My thinking is that at FC of 12, that the Summershield/CYA was just blocking the FC, because I was losing NO FC overnight, but pool was still hot mess. I am not bothering with CC yet because Summershield does some Voodoo to that too.

Hopefully I am on to something...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.