We trust your numbers! ;) You will need the FAS/DPD test to check CCs. And it tests Cl with greater precision and chlorine concentrations greater than the test you have. You will need it to SLAM.
Ok, I am trying to figure out what kit to buy and see if anyone near me carries it. I just got test. Here are results. Before I buy from here anything wanted to see what y’all recommend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 19
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

You said you just bought a CYA test what did you get? Be specific. If you order the other tests that aren't included in your existing k1004 you'll have it in 2 or 3 days from tftestkits
I got it from that website you jus mentioned but just got cya kit solo. I will order one from there. Is the one on there the same as the leslies one that is their biggest one? I have a store holding one for me it was like $86. Is is a Taylor one. But not sure what number

Just add the liquid CL that Marty mentioned up thread until your test kits arrive. Then we will get a set of test results and decide the next course of action. Right now we are guessing that Leslie's CYA value is correct and that is usually a bad assumption. We want to see what you get with your test kit. And we can go from there.

Reactions: mknauss
Just add the liquid CL that Marty mentioned up thread until your test kits arrive. Then we will get a set of test results and decide the next course of action. Right now we are guessing that Leslie's CYA value is correct and that is usually a bad assumption. We want to see what you get with your test kit. And we can go from there.
Ok thank you. How much liquid chlorine should I add? Should I not add anymore muriatic acid or do anything about alkalinity?

Ok thank you. How much liquid chlorine should I add? Should I not add anymore muriatic acid or do anything about alkalinity?
Remember what Marty said? That much:
PoolMath
In your pool, 3 quarts of 10% bleach is equal to 6ppm FC. That is close enough.
And brush. Don't worry about anything else until you get your test kit and we can get your numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool stores don't want to carry Taylor kits for a few reasons - one, if people tested their own water, they could stop coming in for the pool store test and the pool store would lose an opportunity to sell to them. Two, the reagents don't last forever (usually a year or two) and if they didn't sell them they'd expire and have to be tossed.

You'll need to get a good kit by buying it online.

Pool stores don't want to carry Taylor kits for a few reasons - one, if people tested their own water, they could stop coming in for the pool store test and the pool store would lose an opportunity to sell to them. Two, the reagents don't last forever (usually a year or two) and if they didn't sell them they'd expire and have to be tossed.

You'll need to get a good kit by buying it online.
Ok right! So when I do know my actual levels are there places y’all buy your chemicals or do you use pool stores.

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s , etc carry everything you need.
Ok last questionS for now...I bought liquid chlorine and acid today at Lowe’s. What do you use for the calcium hardness? Can I just use regular bleach or better to get the liquid chlorine? Soda ash or borax? I don’t want to go to leslies if I don’t have to!! I am ready to have a trouble free pool! Should I also order the kit tf-100 from TF site or the Taylor 2005C? I am going to order now so it can get here quick!

Reactions: splashpad
Ok last questions for now...I bought liquid chlorine and acid today at Lowe’s. Can I just use regular bleach or better to get the liquid chlorine?
I prefer the liquid pool shock (higher % sodium hypochlorite and no purchase limit), both do the same thing otherwise, add chlorine to the pool! :D

What do you use for the calcium hardness?
You can use cal-hypo in your pool (for both calcium and a bit of chlorine). I know there are some other sources as well.

Soda ash or borax? I don’t want to go to leslies if I don’t have to!! I am ready to have a trouble free pool! Should I also order the kit tf-100 from TF site or the Taylor 2005C? I am going to order now so it can get here quick!
You won't regret the choice!! TF-100 for sure!

Reactions: mknauss
We are not trying to push you into buying a kit from a particular website just because we know the guy that owns it...well ok, we do know him. But what we found was the Taylor has the best selection of reagents and TFTestKits assembles them for the way most people test their own pools. The closest equivalent is the Taylor k-2006C for what you'll need and it may seem a better price on Amazon, but really the combination of tests that are included and the amount of each reagent is well thought out. and in the end the price is competitive since you're not buying what you wont need. So the short answer is GET A TFTESTKIT! ;)
You already have a K-1004 so there will be some overlap. You said you ordered the CYA test from them... see if you can cancel that order since the TFTEST-100 includes it.

-Get 10% Liquid chlorine from from Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes.. wherever is cheaper. Just look at the date code to get fresh stuff. you can even use household bleach as long as there are no additives.
-I get calcium chloride off Amazon if I need to raise my Ca
-you can get muriatic acid from the hardware stores as well.
-Get regular bulk baking soda in the baking aisle.. its the same thing and is cheaper

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.